Donna Repsher's Reviews > Bound to Serve

Bound to Serve by Julie Castle

F 50x66

I received an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review and here it is: 4 stars.

Bound to Serve is the very promising first book in a new romantic suspense series by what appears to be this author's first novel, and as first novels go, she's certainly off to a good start. For those expecting a typical romantic suspense novel, boy, are you in for a surprise.

Bridget Jamison, was recently promoted to field agent at Delta Star, a black ops agency. Six years earlier, her fiance and fellow agent, James, was killed during an op that went bad and Bridget has been blaming herself for his death ever since. She's soon to be paired with Condor (Ross Longtree), also known at the agency as The Ghost, and sent on an assignment to catch the man who killed her fiance, Simon Perez, an international criminal who has been eluding capture for far too long.

Intelligence reports indicate that Perez frequents an exclusive resort, and Bridget and Condor are to infiltrate the resort as a couple, but there's a catch. This is no ordinary resort--this is a BDSM resort for the rich, powerful and sexually kinky. Condor almost always works alone, he's into kink and will have no problem acting as a Dom, but Bridget hasn't a clue. She's a well-trained, spunky agent, and doesn't like taking orders, and so Condor has to train her to believably act as his submissive. This is not an easy task, since Bridget is out to prove herself a valuable asset to the agency, exact revenge for her finance's death, and she's no shrinking violet. Delta Star prohibits relationships between its agents, and the sex between agents on an op is all supposed to be simulated, or so Bridget thinks. This is the point at which I need to advise you that this novel is definitely written for the age 18+ reader. The sex between these two is definitely not simulated, and turn up your air conditioning, because as the story plays out in the hunt for Perez, the relationship between Bridget and Condor takes off like a five-alarm fire.

Ms. Castle has written a sizzling hot, fast-paced and suspense-filled thriller of a romance novel, with interesting and well-portrayed characters. I especially liked the touches of humor and sass from Bridget and her inability to follow orders. If I had to choose one thing I'd change about this novel, it's that I would have liked a little more backstory on Condor, who was certainly sexy as all get-out and a very intriguing character. All in all, this is one impressive debut novel, and I'm eager to read the next novels in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound to Serve.

May 10, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
May 10, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
May 23, 2016 – Started Reading