Billie Bibliophile's Reviews > Toward the Sound of Chaos

Toward the Sound of Chaos by Carmen Jenner

bookshelves: favourties

I have been trying so, so hard over the last week to write a review for this book. But every review I write, I end up hitting the delete button and not publishing it. I honestly don’t think I can do it justice. So, I’m sorry, Carmen.

When I first started reading this book, all I thought was “ugh, typical troubled Hero and Heroine”, but after the first chapter, I was glued, I was stuck and I was completely and utterly immersed in a world that not only spoke to me, it spoke at me. Rammed it down my throat. Obliterated the world I live in and exchanged it for a world of fictional perfection.
Carmen is poetic in her writing, she’s captivating and she doesn’t leave you hanging for too long. I find this a breath of fresh air.

Jake.
JAKE…
JAAAAAAKE!
This man, he wants nothing more than to be the strong inside and out, but Jake has seen and experienced things that no man should ever have to. A broken man, just trying to pull things together to survive. Something’s gotta give though. He can’t be that person. PTSD is controlling his life, awake or asleep, there is no escape for Jake. As he battles through it with only his service dog Nuke by his side and all he wants is a light at the end of the tunnel. Or as it happens, a car at the end of the bridge.

Ellie.
Strong, capable, a business owner and single mother of an extremely precious little boy, Spencer. Ellie has seen and dealt with the likes of broken and damaged men. She has her hands full with her Autistic son, yet is always the first person to try and fix the unfixable. She doesn’t give up and she collides with fate of the end of a bridge.

When the paths of Jake and Ellie cross, there is no turning back. There is pain, hurt, heartbreak, love and everything in between.

I need to stop there. I’m sorry.

I don’t want to give too much of this beautiful heart wrenching story away because I simply think that this is a book that needs to be unspoiled. You need to experience the torment and shivers that I got when reading it.

I resonated with this book on such a personal level that this has fast become my favourite book for 2016.
I almost can’t remember any other books that I have actually read because this book has me thinking about it everyday.

Thank you Carmen for having such an educated and accurate representation of PTSD, mental health and Autism into this book. It means more than you would ever understand to have such a beautiful story by an author that actually does her research. If you ever need a hand, you know where to find me. Just sayin’ HAHA.

“There’s no bravery in running away, but there can be in surrender. Sometimes to surrender to someone else’s chaos is the bravest thing you can do.”

BB

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toward the Sound of Chaos.

January 1, 2016 – Started Reading
January 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2016 – Shelved
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: favourties

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Great review Billie! :)

Billie Bibliophile Thanks, love!

message 3: by Angelica (new) - added it

Angelica DelMargo I think you just sold me on this book!