Jeff Miller's Reviews > On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

Apr 30, 2011

I have been waiting to read this book for awhile as it was out of print. Previously I had gone on a Time Powers binge where I read several of his books one after another. As this book now has some connection to the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie it is finally being published again and I bought the Kindle version.

It was quite worth the wait as it was a very satisfying Tim Powers story. This time a young man headed for the Caribbean from Europe to confront his uncle is captured by pirates and due to the circumstances forced to join them. As in all Power's stories it tightly weaves historical events along with magic to such a point that his "histories" seem truer and explain more than the real history. His imaginative use of magic in this story takes the fountain of youth legend to a new level and manages to contain such figures as Blackbeard and giving them entirely new motives.

Just good storytelling with an interesting plot and satisfying ending. On my next Tim Powers binge I will have to re-read this one with the others.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Stranger Tides.

April 13, 2011 – Started Reading