Brittany S.'s Reviews > This Darkness Mine

This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis

Initial Impressions 10/18/17: I can't even... what??? This book was not at all what I expected and without heading into spoiler-town (yet), I will say that I went through an array of feelings while reading it. Well hell, the book isn't what I expected while reading it either. It was just... well-done, Mindy McGinnis. You have slayed me.

Okay, so avoiding spoilers for now, here's what I can tell you about this book: it's about a girl named Sasha who is the good girl, won't even swear, is extremely dedicated to her music (clarinet) and works hard to the point of obsessing over being perfect with music, grades, and being good. Things start to take a turn when she discovers that she is (used to be) a twin, but her sister was never actually born and was absorbed in the womb. This is an actual thing that happens sometimes so okay. Sasha seems shaken by this information and tries to gather more information about her sister-that-could-have-been and things start to go haywire as she becomes entangled with a boy named Isaac, the stereotypical bad-boy with whom Sasha would never interact... except she has, and Isaac has proof. Sasha tries to figure out how and why and then we head into the twisty part of this book... (spoilers later)

So up until this point, I was like eeeeeeehhhhahhhahhh I don't know about this. I wasn't super keen on the twin-thing being a big part of the story because I didn't see that coming (yes, I KNOW it's in the synopsis -- reminder 184300495 that I go into books blind so I can be so very surprised by things like this and usually it creates for an even more amazing story because it was definitely a reveal that I was surprised by instead of knowing it was coming. See?) and like the obsessive person that Sasha is, she starts to take the investigation of her sister a little too far and takes on a little too much.

Okay, so let's head into spoilerville because OH MY GOD. (view spoiler)

The book truly shook me with its ending but there were also parts that were just plain weird. It ended up totally coming together but I must admit that I was kind of like oooooookay for a few good sections of the book where I wasn't sure how I felt. This book is one to mess with your head and your emotions and even if you're not crazy about the beginning, it's so worth finishing because you won't want to miss that ending!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Darkness Mine.

May 23, 2016 – Shelved
October 17, 2017 – Started Reading
October 18, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
October 18, 2017 – Shelved as: from-pub-harper
October 18, 2017 –
75.0% "This isn't what I expected at all and yet I can't tear myself away? It's very strange but also extremely interesting!"
October 18, 2017 – Finished Reading