Mike Cullen's Reviews > Killer Transaction

Killer Transaction by Catherine Bruns

did not like it

Killer Transaction, a Cindy York mystery could have been excellent. Instead it was flat. I felt no connection to the characters, and the lead character of busy, working mum-of-three Cindy York annoyed the life out of me. She was a rug. Every single character except her husband walked all over here. The generic secondary characters of her boss and the evil but 'beautiful' colleague, the brat of a daughter, the god awful Mother-in-law. I've got to say, if you're expecting someone to read almost 20% of the story before the murder occurs you need to make it engaging and Killer Transaction failed on this account too.

There were way too many pages of an Open House that Cindy was running for the evil but beautiful coworker and the people who came to view the house; yep horrible. All of them. Three families of awful characters, two of which threaten to sue her before the Open House is finished and the other stole half the sandwiches.

I'll be honest, I have a lot of trouble reading stories centring on characters who have no backbone and let everyone take advantage of them. Given this was a cozy mystery (and the amount of reviews overflowing with how wonderful the story was), I was looking forward to a few laughs, a murder or two and over all a bit of fun. When I found myself disappointed that Cindy wasn't the victim I knew the rest of the story was going to be a struggle.

I usually don't write reviews for books I can't finish, but this book had such a good concept that was let down by miserable character development. When I say character development I mean, there was none.

To give it a positive the sentences are constructed well and the editing and grammar were on point, but even that could make up for a paint-by-numbers story with generic insert-villain-number-2 here characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Transaction.

May 22, 2016 – Shelved