Julie's Reviews > The Shark

The Shark by Mary Burton

bookshelves: e-book, crime, netgalley, mystery-shelf, montlake

“The Shark” by Mary Burton

I believe romantic suspense lovers are going to be thrilled with Mary Burton’s new series, The Forgotten Files.
The first installment, “The Shark,” is centered around Riley Tatum, a Virginia State Trooper, who has worked exceedingly hard to get her life back on track after running away from home as a teenager and getting herself into a nightmarish situation she was lucky to have survived.
She now specializes in ‘tracking,’ with her faithful dog, Cooper, and is adopting a troubled teen named Hannah. Her life has finally stabilized, until she finds a murdered prostitute with a hand of playing cards on her person, who also happens to bear a striking resemblance to Riley.
To complicate matters, Clay Bowman, a man Riley once had tender feelings for, has insinuated himself into her investigation, believing Riley is the target of a serial killer known as “The Shark.”
Hoping to keep her troubled past from becoming public knowledge, Riley reluctantly teams up with Bowman to discover who it is playing high-stakes poker games with the lives of young women.
This story is a traditional romantic suspense novel, but will also appeal to thriller fans too. The plot is very disturbing, featuring some of the most depraved bad guys I’ve encountered in recent memory. The plot twists shocked me so hard I nearly lost my breath! This one may not be for the faint of heart, as there are forensic details and the story is pretty dark. However, Riley is a fantastic character and her tenacity is inspiring. I enjoyed Bowman’s more low key approach, but bristled on occasion when he made decisions without consulting Riley. However, the two ended up working together quite well, and made a good team.
The romance is slow to build, and while it is not the prominent thread in the story, it is a nice second-chance-at-love story which gave me hope that Riley will finally have a chance at having a real family and some long overdue happiness. “4-stars”!

Reviewed by Julie Whiteley for Suspense Magazine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shark.

Finished Reading
May 22, 2016 – Shelved
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: e-book
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: crime
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: montlake

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Julie Stephanie wrote: "Heard so many good things about this one!! Looking forward to your thoughts !"

Stephanie, I really liked it. It's a traditional romantic suspense/thriller, but is super creepy and chilling.

message 2: by KAS (new)

KAS Fantastic review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed the suspense ;)) xox

Julie KAS wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed the suspense ;)) xox"

Thank you, KAS!!

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Brilliant review Julie.

Julie Maureen wrote: "Brilliant review Julie."

Thank you, Maureen!!

message 6: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Wonderful review, Julie!

message 7: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I've been wanting to read one of her books -this will be the one! Nice review!

Julie Deanna wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Deanna!!

Julie Maureen wrote: "I've been wanting to read one of her books -this will be the one! Nice review!"

Thank you, Maureen!! I hope you enjoy it!!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review Julie! I loved this book but the next two hooks are even better. Love this author.

Julie Mary wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! I loved this book but the next two hooks are even better. Love this author."

Thank you, Mary!!
I knew this series was going to be a good one. I've got to get caught up with it!!