Kyla's Reviews > Cardboard Gods: An All-American Tale Told Through Baseball Cards

Cardboard Gods by Josh Wilker

Apr 29, 2011

Read from April 29 to 30, 2011

Books like this are why book groups are totally worth it. When it was suggested by a member I feigned polite interest, agreed half-heartedly and thought more about the snacks I would make than the actual book. When it came in to the library via my holds, the cover did nothing to change my mind (argh small press and no design budget) - but from the first little vignette I was hooked. My interest in baseball and stats is surface ( I did collect O-pee-chee hockey cards) but I did grow up in the 70's and 80's and I think that's what this book really captures. It doesn't hurt that it is easy to read: a card, a memory, two pages or so of sharp, funny writing. There was a bittersweet nostalgia about seeing these men on paper, having probably achieved their highest professional goals, knowing what downfalls awaited them...with Josh we ride out his own downfalls - and there are many - and celebrate small victories and man, I'm really looking forward to going to my all woman book club and seeing if anyone loved it as much as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cardboard Gods.