Lydia Howe's Reviews > All Fall Down

All Fall Down by Ally Carter

liked it
bookshelves: 2016-fiction, 2016-three-star, read-in-2016

I picked this book to read because I've read other books by Ally Carter and they've been clean, interesting, and have remained what I would consider non-violent while discussing issues that could have very well ended up being violent. (Spies and such.)

I hadn't read the back cover because I *really* like going into book blind when possible. It was an e-libarary book, so it wouldn't cost me anything to just return it. (Reading the back cover after reading the book left me thinking "woah, this sounds way more serious and morbid than the book felt" so I'm glad I didn't read it first cause it might have turned me off and I actually liked the book a lot, although it's not one I can necessarily recommend.)

First of all: Grace. She's the narrator and is completely unreliable. I used to read book reviews about characters like that, but I didn't understand what it meant until I finally met one of those characters on my own. Grace witnessed her mom dying (or, being killed as Grace claims), and suffers PTSD as a result. She hates people thinking she's crazy, but in reality, she kinda is? Maybe just a little bit, but not in a creepy way at all, instead in a very understandable way.

Grace was a rude character who didn't have much to love, but really drew me in because she had reason to be that way and I therefore wanted to watch her get better. She was so hung up on the past and making it right and I just wanted her to move toward the future.

Overall I was quite taken by the book and found it very interesting. Ally Carter has a unique way of writing (at least unique in my arena of reading), and there's so much that is left unsaid. It really bothers me sometimes, but kinda works other times. It can get confusing, but the confusing vibe went with this book.

I'm still not totally sure how everything happened and what went down, but there was totally a plot twist that I didn't see coming (and still don't understand). I am curious to see what happens next and to (hopefully) watch Grace become a bit of a nicer character.

The book didn't seem dark at all to me, although it did have some serious issues that it contained, so that was a big plus. I can't stand dark books.

Problems I had with the book:
*It was totally unrealistic. The people in her life should have never dealt with stuff the way they did and I can only imagine that in real life people wouldn't be so clueless/dangerous/not with it.
*There was some content I wasn't thrilled with. (Which is why I'm not recommending it.)

Overall I'm giving "All Fall Down" 3 out of 5 stars, 5 out of 10 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Fall Down.

May 12, 2016 – Started Reading