Briana's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Apr 29, 2011

bookshelves: adult, nonfiction, bios-memoirs, lol-humor, writing-poetry-essays-shortstories, lgbt, capricorn, favorites, france

I laughed so hard! >.< By far my favorite book of his.

(I laughed my ass off!)
"One time in France we were lucky enough to catch an identical stomach virus. It was a twenty-four-hour bug, the kind that completely empties you out and takes away your will to live. You'd get yourself a glass of water, but that would involve standing, and so instead you just sort of stare toward the kitchen, hoping that maybe one of the pipes will burst and the water will come to you."

(Referring to his beloved spider)
"'That's all right,' I'd tell her. 'It's only me.' Often I'd take out my magnifying glass and stare into the chaos that was her face."

(I find it fascinating that he loves spiders. Shamanism teaches that spider medicine is terrific for writers and that those who are writers often have spider as one of their totems. I wonder if David knows this. Oddly enough, spider is associated with Grandmother and in this particular quote he makes reference to a grandmother. I love the synchronicity!)
"I suppose there's a place in everyone's heart that's reserved for another species. My own is covered in cobwebs rather than dog or cat hair, and, because of this people assume it doesn't exist. It does, though, and I felt it ache when Katrina hit. The TV was on, the grandmother signaled from her rooftop, and I found myself wondering, with something akin to panic, if there were any spiders in her house."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

April 29, 2011 – Shelved