Margaret's Reviews > Bear Daughter

Bear Daughter by Judith Berman

bookshelves: 2nd-world-fantasy, fairytale-myth-inspired, 2016-into-the-forest-challenge

One day a bear wakes up as a 12-year-old girl, and her life is changed.

Cloud is the human Thrush's daughter, but also Lord Stink's--the bear king. When she awakens as a girl Thrush's current husband Rumble ostracizes her, and her Aunt Glory takes her into her own home and teaches her how to be human. But when Rumble killed Lord Stink and Cloud's brothers, he took on some of Lord Stink's power, and that power is corrupting him and the human world.

Haunted by dreams of her ghost brothers, Cloud must go on a quest to rescue the bones of her bear family and rid the human world of corruption, but to do so she must acknowledge both the human and the bear within her.

Bear Daughter combines Native American spiritual mythology with a more Western quest narrative that reminded me of the wild swans fairy tale (an analogy she also makes in this wonderful interview: http://www.strangehorizons.com/2005/2...). It's a unique fantasy novel, and I enjoyed the mythology and the connection with the wild. I did feel frustrated by the middle--Cloud pursues the same quest throughout the novel, but the quest is constantly thwarted, over and over in countless ways. It becomes a bit annoying, after a while. However, I loved both the beginning and end, as well as the mythos. Thanks to Jalilah for recommending this one! 3.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bear Daughter.

May 21, 2016 – Started Reading