Mike's Reviews > Preludes & Nocturnes

Preludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

1940138

bookshelves: graphic-novels, fantasy, borrowed, series

After enjoying The Graveyard Book, I wanted more Neil Gaiman. I was also eager to increase my dose of graphic novels after falling in lesbian with Scott Pilgrim awhile back. The Sandman was the logical next step.

While I didn't enjoy The Sandman Volume I: Preludes and Nocturnes as well as The Graveyard Book or Scott Pilgrim, I did still enjoy it. The story was bizarre and a bit twisted at times, but it captured me to a degree and turned out to be pretty good in the end. If nothing else, it left me intrigued enough to pick up Volume II at the local library.

One gripe that I sometimes have with graphic novels is the artwork. When I was a bit younger, I loved illustration and was none too shabby with a pencil by the end of high school, so I am sometimes rather critical of the penciling and colors. With The Sandman, I sometimes felt like the artwork was not in sync with the story. The artwork was often bright and somewhat absurd, while the plot was dark and twisted. However, it either grew on me or it got better with each issue, because it didn't bother me as much by the end.

Overall, this wasn't my favorite read of the year, but it was still a fascinating concept and has since lead me to pick up Volume II: The Doll's House.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preludes & Nocturnes.

April 29, 2011 – Started Reading