Anita's Reviews > Everland

Everland by Wendy Spinale

3202140
May 21, 2016

I received Everland in the May Steampunk Owlcrate. I decided I wanted the box because of the advertised Infernal Devices inclusion in the box. I was extremely excited to discover the book was a steampunk version of Peter Pan, as (if you read my reviews you already know) I've been reading a lot of Peter Pan retells lately.

What I Loved: This wasn't so much a retelling of Peter Pan as it was a reimaging. All of our favorite characters, and their personalities were present and accounted for. I really enjoyed that about this book - it was its own story throughout the entire book, but it was also very much Peter Pan!

In some of the retellings I've read lately, Peter is cast as the bad guy while Hook is really our hero - in this book the characters are put back into their rightful places, and Pete was perfect and made me fall in love with the kid Peter Pan was, but also with the teenager and guardian he was in this rendition. He was playful and sarcastic yet he bore the weight of burden but not without its scars.

It was awesome that this was steampunked. I've read a few steampunk books, but I think I like this one the best so far. And Pete's tattoo...I really would love to see that for real. However the best steampunk element was most certainly Belle's wings!

Not So Much: Truthfully, Hook was completely unstable in this book, but I was sort of confounded by this character. At times I felt like he wasn't really such a bad person, other times he was the worst. I kind of felt like the two sides didn't come together very well, but perhaps that is as it should be when someone isn't quite right in the head.

I also would have loved to have had an Epilogue of this book. It was pretty well wrapped up, but not completely.....aaaaand as I was typing this I looked it up, and it appears that this is a series. Now I'm really wondering where this is going to go.....

The Verdict:
This is my favorite Peter Pan Retelling so far. I loved it. I loved the setting, and the characters. I do want more and am very intrigued to know how this is going to be as a series. Hopefully it does not disappoint.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everland.

May 21, 2016 – Shelved
May 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 3, 2016 – Started Reading
July 4, 2016 –
page 37
11.86% "First Impressions on the characters: Gwen: has a crap-ton of responsibility and is having trouble enjoying any part of life. Hook: I kinda wonder if he's going to end up being a misunderstood character. Pete: is dead on. It's too early to call it, but this might be my favorite Pan re-tell thus far."
July 17, 2016 – Finished Reading