Cindy's Reviews > Redheart (Leland Dragon Series, #1)

Redheart (Leland Dragon Series, #1) by Jackie Gamber

Apr 29, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2011, teen-fantasy

I had really high hopes for this book. I mean what's not to love about dragons? I am a huge dragon lover and any book I will read eagerly. That said, this book was a huge disappointment for myself.

Here's why:

From page one I felt as if I was thrown into a book/series that I had obviously failed to catch up on. It felt like there was a huge backstory that I wasn't a part of. Think of it as if you were reading Harry Potter but started on book 5, you'd be lost. Sure, the author reveals bits and pieces but that lost feeling never truly went away.

To add to the lost feeling, I almost felt as if the characters were tossed at me and not really developed. I never got to bond with them. Again, I was left feeling as if I had missed out on something by not reading something before hand.

Sadly, the lost feeling that I had during the whole book overtook any plot that might have been with the book so I can't tell you much about that. I just couldn't shake the lost feeling enough to enjoy teh rest of the book.

There were also a few sections that were very oddly worded or developed. To the point that I had to reread them to understand them. I don't know if it was the lost feeling that contributed to this or if it was just oddly worded.

I really wish I could have had a better experience. Maybe it was my expectations, maybe it just wasn't the book for me, I'm not sure. I didn't give the book a one because, well I didn't HATE it I just was sadly disappointed by the whole experience.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redheart (Leland Dragon Series, #1).

message 1: by seak (new)

seak I'm dying to know what you think of this one. I accepted a review copy, but I've been reading Seventh Star's Thrall and it's not been good. I hope my next reading experience with them is more promising. :)

Cindy I need to think on how to word things. I read part of Zimmer's book by this publisher and my experience was good. I have Thrall and haven't opened it, so I will let you know!

message 3: by seak (new)

seak Sounds like a lot of my feelings on Thrall. Eek. This does not get me excited to read this. Thanks for the review!