Rachel Gilbey's Reviews > Learning to Love

Learning to Love by Sheryl Browne

What a fantastic way to spend a Saturday afternoon, I have managed to read Learning to Love in one sitting, and loved every second of it. It has everything you could want in a story, from a dishy doctor, village of friends, family with some wonderful children, a dastardly villain and a large helping of drama and action. This is a fast paced story, that will leave you gasping for more.

David Adams has just moved in opposite the Kelly family, with his 10 year old son Jake. They don't have the best of relationships, and the last thing in theory they need is what does happen. For within a few days, the Kelly house is on fire, and David helps rescue Andrea's children and elderly mother. Then offers the family a place to stay, while they get back on their feet.

Friends all rally around to help Andrea and her family, and her two teenage children Ryan and Sophie go overnight from being typical teenagers to reasonably responsible people trying their hardest to help out or at least not make life harder

There is one noticeable exception to this, Jonathan, her fiancee and father to her youngest child. He is absent during the fire, and then doesn't reappear for a few days. Let's just say any bad vibes you get from him once you are introduced to the character, should not be ignored!

I loved seeing the dynamic in the Adams household gradually change, as you learn why it is father and son don't seem overly close, and how the introduction of the Kellys changes all of their lives. There is an incredibly close friendship brewing and it leaves Andrea needing to make decisions.

I am not going to spoil the finale, but to say it was action packed and drama filled would be the only indication I can give, and I'm so glad I was able to read it all un-interrupted. Learning to Love teaches you how to love in difficult circumstances, and is a wonderful story. Being a huge fan of Sheryl Browne's work, I had been slightly apprehensive as to whether this would be as good as some of her other books, and I can safely say it definitely is, if not better still.

Thank you to Netgalley and Choc Lit for this review copy. This was my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning to Love.

Started Reading