Eve Messenger's Reviews > The 52nd

The 52nd by Dela

May 20, 2016

it was ok

The 52nd has a promising concept but is difficult to take seriously. An ancient curse born from Mayan AND Aztec mythology? Why both? Immortal Mexican demigods with cool tattoos who go by names like. . . Dylan and Lucas? I get it, the demigod Watchers disguise themselves as mortals. However, the mundane things they say and do for much of the book diminish what could have been a gripping story about powerful Aztec (Mayan?) gods trying to end a curse against humans in the modern world.

Chapters alternate between two POVs, and several times I was confused as to whose POV I was reading. Not a good sign. Characters and the “voice” of their chapters should be distinctive enough that the reader is immediately aware whose POV they’re in.

My favorite chapter was #8: Night Games. It was vividly written and had me hanging on the edge of my seat. More of that—and a lot of trimmed chapters--would have made for a much better book.

Overall, here’s how The 52nd goes:

Nail-biting scene in which demon stalks protagonist.

Fifty pages that don’t further the plot.

Demons attack again. Demigods erase witnesses’ memories.

Fifty pages that don’t further the plot.

Protagonist dream walks through ancient Mexico.

Fifty pages that don’t further the plot.

Demigods put protagonist through some sort of vague training to resist demons.

The group travels to Mexico, chats about cars they drive and food they like to eat.

Climactic event happens, then quickly ends.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 52nd.

May 20, 2016 – Shelved
May 26, 2016 –
page 249
May 29, 2016 –
page 277
60.09% "Things take a long time to happen in this book."
May 29, 2016 –