Wendy Macdonald's Reviews > An Honest House: A Memoir, Continued

An Honest House by Cynthia Reyes

30320223

An Honest House is honestly wonderful.

Cynthia Reyes’ second memoir (Part II of A Good Home) is captivating and poignant. I already knew I’d like it because I read and loved her first memoir, and I’m already a fan of her blog. But what I didn’t expect was how deep she’d dig into her inkwell for this from the heart sequel. She unveils more about her tragic car accident, her serious injuries, and her struggling but growing faith.

I don’t want to give anything away in this review, but I will say that it surpassed my expectations of what I’ve come to appreciate in memoirs. She sets the table with delicious descriptions of her heritage home, friendships, and gardens as she wrote her way into my mind and heart, so that I walked with her through the pages of her story. When she laughed, I did. And when she cried, I cried too.

It’s not a book to be read in public if you’re easily embarrassed to burst into laughter or tears in front of strangers. But if you desire to grow in your understanding and empathy towards those who’ve walked the PTSD multi-lane-highway, this is the book to board.

My only regret was reaching the last page and wanting more (just like the last time). I have no hesitation giving this a five star bouquet of beautiful roses. And nothing would please me more than to find out there will be a Part III.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Honest House.

Started Reading