Estara's Reviews > Cast in Ruin

Cast in Ruin by Michelle Sagara

Apr 29, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011, favorites, re-read, read-in-2012, read-in-2013
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy author and series
Recommended for: fans of the series - this is NOT a book to start it
Read 3 times. Last read April 25, 2013 to April 27, 2013.

** spoiler alert ** I'm continually fascinated how intricate some plots can go and how fast the development while I as the reader still can follow along without getting hopelessly lost.

Like the most recent Foreigner trilogy in C.J. Cherryh's series this particular book is set over only a couple of days at most, starting directly after the last book finished. Plotwise I am getting the impression we are nearing the all-out confrontation with the darkness inside Ravellon, but personally I'm hoping it will slow down some - I want to spend more time with the developing Kaylin and the various new strands to the empire.

While this is NOT the dragon court book, I would call it the dragon book - we get a lot of creation story and explanation story in here. On the personal front, Kaylin and Severn have a talk that was years overdue and unavoidable after what happened in the previous book. I'm sure a few of the Team Nightshade readers will be unhappy - but I agree with Kaylin's judgement about his feelings towards her, I also can understand what her reservations about Severn are.

I adored the fact that now that Kaylin has more of an idea about where her powers come from and what a Chosen is, that she is able to ... I want to say level-up in her use of true words - (view spoiler). I totally enjoyed the focus on the various dragon interactions, getting to know Diarmad and more in Tiamaris fief and with the new People, the Norannir.

MSW has said that the next book will be in the Western March, so we'll actually leave Elantra. That should be fascinating. There's also still the egg that Kaylin is trying to hatch. (view spoiler) The book really needed those extra pages after the dramatic climax and I'm very happy we got them.

Of course, I want to read the next one NOW!
____________
2nd read: After reading Silence, I just didn't want to separate from MSW's voice and I realised that she is a surefire comfort read for me because the one story that is always at least one focus of all her books and a lot of the time the main focus (Haven't read all of The Sundered and I'm not sure if it works for the Hunter's Oath duology, apart from Evayne a'Nolan maybe) is a woman who has an incredible power (which she either desires - The Terafin - or for some reason has thrust upon her - Emma - or inherits - Diora, Jewel -) and uses it to keep her family safe, get revenge for her family, make a new family and keep that safe.
_________________________
3rd read: Bellusdeo's isolated situation was something I focussed on more this time, and I think I could grasp the pyrotechnics for her midwifing even better than before.

Kaylin didn't quite get out of that talk with Severn, but it did get pushed aside somewhat. With regard to him, I really do believe that he will survive not being with her, as long as he knows she is safe somewhere.

I stillhope the second Western Marches book will finally explain about the one Wolf who is a Barrani Lord (and whom I expect to have given the chain blades to Severn while he was in the Marches).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Ruin.

Quotes Estara Liked

Michelle Sagara West
“Bellusdeo laughed. It was, for a moment, the only sound in the quiet of the fief’s night, and it was warmer and deeper than the lingering night chill. When her laughter faded, she glanced at Kaylin. “I was not like this before. I thought that the Shadows had not touched me.” She lowered her head a moment.
Kaylin understood this, as well. “It seems so unfair,” she finally said.
“Life is unfair. Which part of it pains you?”
“We suffer, and it breaks something. When we win free—by gaining our name, by crossing a bloody bridge—we still live in a cage of scars. If life were fair, we would never have suffered what we suffered at all; having suffered it and survived, we’re still reacting to things that don’t exist anymore.”
“But they did.”
“Yes. I hate that they still define me.” Voice lower, she said to Bellusdeo, “I want that to change. I don’t know how to change it. But I’m willing to spend the rest of my life trying.” Shaking her head, she forced herself to smile; it was surprisingly easy. There was something about Bellusdeo that she liked. “Home is a strange thing.”
“What do you mean?”
“We lose it, and we think it’s gone forever. That’s how I felt the first time I lost mine. It took me years to understand that I could find—and make—another. I couldn’t do it on my own, though; I don’t think—for me—home exists in isolation.”
Michelle Sagara West, Cast in Ruin