Catie's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

Apr 29, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, sci-fi, ya, series, speculative-fiction, zombies, audio

Please, please don’t let the z-word turn you away from this book. I mean, don’t get me wrong: this book has some fantastic, edge of your seat type action, including some of the zombie battling classics...

I only have one bullet left!
SAVE IT FOR YOURSELF!

But the truth is, the zombies are merely the stimulus behind the really scary stuff in this book: human complacency and fear, the mass marketing of lies, and the biggest freak show of them all – the republican primary. Replace the zombies with water shortages, global warming, terrorism, or any of a host of other frightening topics and this world becomes chillingly close to our own.

This story takes place in the not so distant future, where a mutated combination of a cancer cure and a common cold cure has spread to create hordes of the living dead. Disaffected by the mass media’s early attempts to downplay and cover up the outbreak, many have turned to the bloggers to find the real truth. In this world, bloggers aren’t just posting weepy break up poetry or ranting about the latest movie casting decision; they’re carrying weapons, entering infected zones, and digging up the truth at all costs. Georgia is a “Newsie” – dedicated to finding and reporting the truth objectively. Her adopted brother Shaun is an “Irwin” (RIP Steve-o!) – always on the hunt for his next adrenaline ride through a zombie infested area. Buffy, the petite blonde fiction writer (“Fictional”) and gadget whiz, rounds out the team. Georgia and Shaun have been raised under the bright lights of media scrutiny, as their celebrity parents search for their next ratings boost, and have developed a near symbiotic relationship as a result. When the team is called to follow the campaign of Senator Peter Ryman (who is like a cross between Bill Clinton and John McCain, before he became an embittered old coot), their ratings begin to soar…especially when someone starts making attempts on the Senator’s life.

These days I tend to get extremely wearied by the state of journalism. Whenever I catch the news (typically only when I am forced to), it feels like so much fear mongering, propaganda spreading flatulence. I feel like the people that are reporting the real, unbiased stories are either a) working for small newspapers or b) working for independent outfits like ProPublica, and either way, no one is paying attention. This book made me excited about journalism again. I think that she found the perfect balance with George and Shaun, who walk the line between journalistic integrity and wolfish ratings boosting tactics. They bring to mind the best of the hero reporters, who may have been a bit devious, but always got the truth and gave it freely to the public.

This book has elements of horror, hard sci-fi, political satire, conspiracy, and it even takes a quick turn into whodunit territory (I'll take Colonel Mustard in the gore soaked barn with a zombie pony...). It kept my brain fully engaged, my butt at the edge of my seat, and my heart completely invested in the characters (which is dangerous in such a fatal environment). Yes, I could see the deaths coming a mile away, but my heart still cracked with each one.

I can tell that Mira Grant really did some research on virology. The one or two times that the overly logical part of my brain would have a little niggling doubt about some technical detail, the rest of my brain, heavily involved with the story, would tell it to just shut the hell up. I was well and truly hooked to this story, and boy, does she know how to build suspense! I swear, I practically gnawed off my own hand every time they took one of those virus detection tests. I can’t wait to read Deadline!

Perfect Musical Pairing

Pearl Jam – The End

I had other, more serious songs picked out for this book…songs about the media, or cut-throat politics. But then I got to the ending, and now I just want to curl up and listen to really sad songs so I can cry. I listened to this right after a certain scene, and got all weepy, especially at this part:

”Help me see myself,
Cuz I can no longer tell,
Looking up from inside of the bottom of a well, it's Hell, I yell, but no one hears before, I disappear, whisper in my ear.
Give me something to echo in my unknown future, you see, my dear, the end, comes near, I'm here, but not much longer.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

April 29, 2011 – Shelved
May 23, 2011 –
30.0% "Whenever she mentions her super close/symbiotic relationship with her brother I feel like someone's waving a red meat shirt at a horde of zombies."
May 25, 2011 –
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: speculative-fiction
May 26, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2013 – Shelved as: zombies
February 9, 2014 – Shelved as: audio

Regina Oh I bought this one!

Catie It's petty good - I forgot to change it to the audiobook. I am listening to it.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I'm very excited to read this. I love this authors urban fantasy (written under a different name). I really need to move it up my TBR list because the library has it.

Catie Yes, it is quite good so far - I think that you will love it actually. There's a lot of stuff about journalism, blogging, and so forth. Plus...ZOMBIES!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Your building my excitement!

Catie Yay!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) See I was listening to it and only a few days ago. But it expired and I didn't renew it. I didn't like the main girl and I couldn't get into the story. And this was one of those that a lot of people liked!

Catie WHAT?!! But it's so good! How could you not like George?

*sob*

You just made a horde of zombie children cry. I hope you're happy!

message 9: by Wendy Darling (last edited May 26, 2011 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Darling I'm so glad you liked this one, Catie! And this gave me a big belly laugh: I'll take Colonel Mustard in the gore soaked barn with a zombie pony... Hah!

PS: I knew that (view spoiler)

Catie (view spoiler)

I think that it was especially hard to listen to that scene on audio! Uh.

Regina Great review!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for this review Catie. The first line is really what I needed to hear.

Catie Thanks Regina, and you're welcome Kate. I hope you like it! It's about so much more than zombies.

So...for all you guys that have read this already...I can't stop thinking about that part (BEWARE, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!) with (view spoiler) That part still gets to me!

Kerry *Soulcaster* I know that you read this EONS ago but I can't refrain from commenting. I have been desperately searching for a zombie book that focuses more on human nature when faced with a zombie outbreak than the blood and gore (don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of The Walking Dead!) I was checking out FEED and read the first paragraph of you review - this may be the one I've been waiting for! I'm crossing my fingers....:D

Kerry *Soulcaster* Thanks for the suggestions! TRATA sounds especially awesome :)

Kerry *Soulcaster* I am only 25% into the book, but I am totally hooked! Thanks for the rec :D

Catie Oh, sure! I completely forgot that I did that! Hope you love it.