Kcduchess's Reviews > Stone Guardian

Stone Guardian by Danielle Monsch

bookshelves: myths-and-magic-resurrected

This book had quite a cast, I mean there were a lot of characters. Gargoyles, vampires, elves, mages, direwolves, orcs, zombies... But it was not a boring list of entities, every character introduced was significant to the story.

The book begins on the day of the Great Collision, the day when Magic Realm merged with the human world and all the creatures people thought only to be fairytale, come crashing into their reality. Twenty-six years later, Larissa, who was born at the day of the Great Collision, is yanked from her sheltered no magic - life, when bunch of zombies attack her. Luckily, precautions have been taken, and Terak, leader of his gargoyle clan, has been sent to protect her. But there are also others, who want to protect her. Everyone has different motives and agendas and Larissa is torn apart whom to believe and trust. And that benefits her enemies.

All her life Larissa has lived under the watchful eyes of her father and four brothers and when she falls for a gargoyle, some obstacles can be expected. Terak being supposed to mate of his own clan, isn't least of them. But love conquers all, right?

I liked this book, a lot. It has a good flow and it is pleasure to read. There are no plotholes or wasted pages. Every character introduced, has a meaning. Althoug they are plenty, the ones that have most significance storywise, are not shallow. Larissa's and Terak's backstories are told and that gives the depth to the their characters. For me, a book to gain review of three or more stars, there has to be good character depictions.

Monsch is talented author. Reading Stone Guardian I felt like every sentence is there for a reason. I loved her view on how the world in her book is built. It's not just vampires or werevolves but all the fairytale creatures one can possibly imagine, together. And I can assure you, it's a damn fascinating world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Guardian.

May 14, 2016 – Started Reading