Anirban Nanda's Reviews > The Broken Home: English Translation of Rabindranath Tagore's Nastanirh

The Broken Home by Lopamudra Banerjee

bookshelves: rabindranath, classic, tragic

There is nothing to talk about the quality of the story, as this is one of the best stories that focuses on emotions of a woman as a friend, a wife, and above all, a human being. But still, from time to time, this review will be infected by the bewitching beauty of the original story.

I have read the original Bengali years ago, and it is apparent that the translator has done a decent job in bringing out the poetic beauty of Tagore's prose. Tagore's prose has always been deep and heavy, which is evident in the English rendition.

I have seen many translators turn a heavy prose style to a day-to-day language, lucidification, if I have to term it, but here, the translator has not done that, instead stayed true to the text.

To come to the story, it is a wonderful, wonderful story. The subtlety between the relations is so meticulously, yet effortlessly done that one has to wonder how Tagore could know so much about a woman's mind. How tender the friendship is between Charu and Amal, the jealousy when Amal comes close to Manda, how painful it is so see a husband trying to entice his wife after 12 years of marriage and failing to do so, how an overtly simple act can leave deep wound on a heart to the extent of ruining a relation. Here, Charu has to cope with her emotions, which she once shared with Amal, but later had to tackle them on her own. The lack of companion, the intrusion in their secret space, not by any person, but by fame shows us the inevitability of the effect of popularity on a relation.

Apart from some small typographical issues, this is a fine translation, though I’d prefer the notes on Bengali phrases linked at the end of the text, than attached in parenthesis.

To conclude, Lopamudra Banerjee has excelled in the daunting task of translating a Nobel laureate, and I look forward to all her future translations of Bengali works.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Home.

May 20, 2016 – Shelved