Laura's Reviews > 738 Days

738 Days by Stacey Kade

bookshelves: favorite-reads-of-2016

“We are not our mistakes, our tragedies. We’re more than that.”

Amanda Grace was abducted and held for 738 days. The terror and torture she lived through cannot possibly be described. But she escaped. She survived! One light in the darkness was a poster of Hollywood hottie, Chase Henry. His face and smirk-smile reminded her of home, which gave her the hope and drive to keep fighting. Now two years later Amanda is still battling the scars and Chase’s career is in a nosedive. Chase is barely holding on to a second, third, fourth chance. A small film shooting near Amanda’s hometown is Chase’s last chance at a comeback after a string of bad choices and mistakes. Both Chase and Amanda are trying so hard to find peace in their lives again. Can they find peace together? But they come from two totally different worlds—don’t they? How can they possibly find common ground? Chase and Amanda’s story may surprise you.

I’m going to get this BIG BUT out of the way now because I don’t want to end this review on a negative or even focus on it much more than this paragraph. The ending—I mean the last 30 pages—was packed with reveals and drama and action. There was too much going on all at once. The rest of the book holds a slow, beautiful pace that mainly involves just Amanda and Chase getting to know each other. They moved from the set to their rooms and back again for most of the book. They talked and listened and opened up. And then BOOM! The packed-to-the-gills ending hit full force stealing a lot of the power and emotion for me. One particular reveal had me in tears! That’s where my heart wanted to stay. But on we went to the next big event and the next and the next. By the end I was rolling my eyes at the Lifetime movie style scenes and action. *blows out a breath* Now….

On to my LOVE of this book. Chemistry is the magic word and ingredient here. Man-o-man do these two have it! Heat sparks between Chase and Amanda at first sight in the form of awkwardness and tension that slowly turns to grins, smiles, honesty and more right before our eyes. It was beautiful to watch. Amanda’s battle with fear and Chase’s insecurities clicked together in a way that brought out strength and healing—it dug something special out of both of them. They pushed and inspired each other. Their broken pieces fit together somehow. Fit so beautifully. A bubble of intimacy and sharing formed from the very first night together. They shared looks, space, food, clothes, and secrets. Small grins turned flirtious. Flashes of skin turned into fantasies and need. Kisses, licks, and nibbles to dream about! Their chemistry flipped from sweet to sexy in a breath, but even those words fail to capture the full emotional impact. It was more than that for me. Their time together felt right. It felt meant to be. I felt it down deep. I loved every moment Amanda and Chase shared together.

But this book held even MORE. A big part of overcoming a trauma or mistake is learning to trust ourselves again. Learning to trust our judgement and stability again. With help and courage and time, we can survive just about anything. At least I like to hope so anyway. Chase and Amanda recognized the fighter in each other. I loved that! I loved that they saw each other’s bravery and toughness. They saw the strength that helped them survive. Now they’re trying to push past their painful histories. Trying to make people see them for more than their images or headlines. Maybe together they can get there. But I have to say, my favorite part of this book was that they worked on getting stronger individually too. Don’t get me wrong—loved the togetherness! Oh, how I LOVED the oola-la togetherness. :D But in the end, I hope both Chase and Amanda gained the inspiration and confidence to battle anything in this world—together and separately.

I loved Chase and Amada’s story.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 738 Days.

Quotes Laura Liked

Stacey Kade
“Life is too short to hold yourself back. From love, from happiness, from the fear of falling when you could have the joy of jumping.”
Stacey Kade, 738 Days

May 20, 2016 – Shelved
May 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2016 – Started Reading
June 22, 2016 –
page 155
35.88% "“And watching him take clothes off is so, so much better than watching him put clothes on.” --Amen to that! :)"
June 23, 2016 –
page 432
100.0% "I loved this book. I mean LOVED it! Right up to about 30 pages left. There was waaay too much going on at the end. So I guess you could say I have a love/hate thing going on for the ending right now. *sighs*"
June 27, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 29, 2016 – Shelved as: favorite-reads-of-2016

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Laura Vilda wrote: "Oh, wow. This book looks really good. Glad you enjoyed it, Laura! Fantastic review. ^-^"

Hi Vilda. Thanks! It was so good! Hope you check it out. The book deserves huge love. Happy Weekend!

♥Rachel♥ Sounds like maybe an open ending? Also sounds a little suspenseful with Amanda's past. Very chilling that she was held captive for soooo long! How do you come away from that? Lovely review, Laura! :)

Laura ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Sounds like maybe an open ending? Also sounds a little suspenseful with Amanda's past. Very chilling that she was held captive for soooo long! How do you come away from that? Lovely review, Laura! :)"

Hi Rachel. Right! The fight in Amanda is amazing and inspiring. No, everything was settled by the end. No cliffhanger or open endings. It was all just too much--too much emotion and too much action and too many things revealed in a small amount of time. But it was still a wonderful read! Hope you give it a go. This book deserves huge love! :) Have a wonderful weekend!

hpboy13 I'll agree with you that the ending was the weaker part of the book (esp. with what I felt was a last-minute villain), but I also agree that most of this book was glorious.

Laura hpboy13 wrote: "I'll agree with you that the ending was the weaker part of the book (esp. with what I felt was a last-minute villain), but I also agree that most of this book was glorious."

Hi. Right! Most of it was glorious! Great word btw... :) I'm still trying to blackout my disappointment with the ending though. I just re-read some of my favorite parts actually. It helps! Kade has another book coming out in August-- For This Life Only . It looks good. I'm looking forward to reading her words again. Happy reading!

hpboy13 Laura wrote: "hpboy13 wrote: "I'll agree with you that the ending was the weaker part of the book (esp. with what I felt was a last-minute villain), but I also agree that most of this book was glorious."

Hi. Ri..."

And I just received some good news from her on Twitter!

Laura hpboy13 wrote: "Laura wrote: "hpboy13 wrote: "I'll agree with you that the ending was the weaker part of the book (esp. with what I felt was a last-minute villain), but I also agree that most of this book was glor..."

GAH! Thanks for the news! This makes me happy. :)

Ksenia Beautiful review, Laura. I missed this book, added it to my tbr.