Lindsey's Reviews > The Court of the Air

The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt

Apr 28, 2011

it was ok

After two hundred pages into the book, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. While Stephen Hunt's worldbuilding is very interesting, all of his characters are completely flat. Even the two main characters of the book seem just like cookie-cutter archetypes. Two orphans with a special, mysterious destiny and absolutely zero character flaws? Yawn! Not only do they not have any flaws, but these orphans don't seem to actually contribute anything useful either. They drift around the novel getting into trouble, and having to be rescued, all the while hearing hints about how 'special' they are.

Additionally, as I mentioned, I'm two hundred pages in and the main characters haven't even bothered to ask why people are trying to kill them. Furthermore, none of the adult characters that end up saving them time and time again seem able to articulate a clear reason for putting their lives at risk to help out these two kids. Or how they even knew that the children needed help in the first place!

It's not often that I won't finish a book, but this is definitely one of those times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Court of the Air.

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Boles While I agree that the characters could have been more fleshed out, you are very far off in saying the main characters have zero character flaws. If you had finished the book, you would know that isn't just incorrect, it actually completely misrepresents what the book is about.