Dani's Reviews > Hellworld

11461925
Mar 31, 2017

bookshelves: 2017-books
Read from March 21 to 30, 2017 , read count: 2

Tom Leveen’s HELLWORLD is a magnificent combinations of myth, horror, monsters, and young adult fiction. I loved how Leveen was able to bring in real world aspects into a horror novel to make it feel believable. He described the monsters in such a way that made it feel like an old horror movie where you never really get to fully see what you are afraid of, which makes it all the more terrifying.

The main character, Abby, has had a troubled past of her mother going missing after leaving to a haunted cave in Arizona with the crew of a ghost-debunking show. Her father falls apart and Abby has to pretty much raise herself and take care of her dad. She then finds a book that she believes will help answer what happened to the crew that went missing and with the help of some old childhood friends, she decides to see this cave for herself.

I loved Abby and was able to identify with her. She is strong, smart, and is someone you wish something would go right for a change. You want to root for her which is always a good thing for a main character. I also like the secondary characters and feel they all play an important role in the novel.

Lastly, I really liked how Leveen tied science and religion and myth together. It made it very believable and enjoyable for me as I love learning about myths and how they connect to real life and history.

All in all I give this novel a 5/5 and definitely recommend it to anyone who likes YA and horror!

*review posted on A Bibliophile's Reverie*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellworld.

05/19 marked as: to-read