Stacey (prettybooks)'s Reviews > George's Marvellous Medicine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

bookshelves: classics, childrens-fiction, classics-challenge, read-in-my-twenties

This post is part of the 2016 Classics Challenge.

WHEN I Discovered This Classic
I wasn't aware of George's Marvellous Medicine until I bought my beautiful Roald Dahl box set three years ago. I've been slowly (obviously!) making my way through it and it was George's time.

WHY I Chose to Read It
Much like with Agatha Christie, it was time for my annual dose of Dahl.

WHAT Makes It A Classic
It's one of Roald Dahl's lesser-known novels – a short and eccentric story about what happens when you get a taste of your own medicine.

WHAT I Thought of This Classic
George's Marvellous Medicine was super fun! What happens when an 8-year-old boy tries to kill his horrible old grandma (who he believes is a witch) with a home-made concoction? Chaos!

Most of the story is made up of George brewing his inventive medicine, throwing in anti-freeze, horse tranquillizers, engine oil and much more. I enjoyed seeing what George was going to add next – and I couldn't help feeling a little terrified! If you did drink his medicine, it would almost certainly kill you. But it was fun seeing what happened when George tried to replicate his potion... including his grandma turning into a really tall chicken. It's not my favourite Roald Dahl so far, but it was short and sweet.

"Never grow up...always down."

WILL It Stay A Classic
I'm sure Roald Dahl's stories will be read for many years to come!

WHO I’d Recommend It To
People who have only read Roald Dahl's most popular books. People who love short, quirky stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvellous Medicine.

May 19, 2016 – Shelved
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: classics-challenge
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: childrens-fiction
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: classics
May 22, 2016 – Started Reading
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-my-twenties
May 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda if you get a chance to read another, check out Boy if you havent already... Roald Dahl's real life was as interesting as his fictional worlds :)

Stacey (prettybooks) Linda wrote: "if you get a chance to read another, check out Boy if you havent already... Roald Dahl's real life was as interesting as his fictional worlds :)"

It's in my box set but I haven't picked it up yet :)