Grace Livengood's Reviews > Dolores Huerta: A Hero to Migrant Workers

Dolores Huerta by Sarah E. Warren

Warren, S. E., & Casilla, R. (2012). Dolores Huerta: A hero to migrant workers. New York: Marshall Cavendish Children.
Dolores Huerta was very observant as a child and young adult, seeing how poverty affected the migrant farm worker families in some of the southern states. She saw how underpaid the laborers were and decided to fight for their rights, so she spoke up to the government. Even though she was ignored many times and the laborers were to frightened to speak out at first, Huerta kept pushing on and demanding civil rights for the laborers, speaking up for those that weren't being paid enough to live off of. The laborers eventually came to her side and there was an uprising that left many fields bare and a lot of fruit spoiled because the laborers had gone on strike. The corporations were finally forced to listen and agreed to pay the laborers fairly for their work. Painted with watercolor paintings the images are very realistic and detailed, and allows the reader to feel like part of the experience and retelling of this civil movement. I liked this story, especially since I found out it corresponded with that of César Chávez and his fight for the civil rights of Latino laborers. It seems as though not as many people know about Dolores, when she made such a big difference, which is why I will share her story with my students in order for them to see how individuals have power change something they think needs to be changed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolores Huerta.

Finished Reading