Willian Molinari's Reviews > Mastery

Mastery by Robert Greene

May 19, 2016

bookshelves: audio, non-fiction

One of the best books I ever read.

This book goes through the life of various masters of our history. Some of them I did not know and decided to look after their life, which was a great experience as well.

If you want to be a master of something, be prepared to use a huge amount of time dealing with it and practicing. Masters don't become what they are by just working 9-5 and watching television in their spare time. They are passionate about what they do and most of the time they don't care about how much money it will generate for them.

In the last moments of his life, Einstein was still writing equations about his hypothesis. Champollion tried to decipher the Rosetta stone for 20 years of his life, trying multiple time and learning from it. Daniel Everett had to immerse in the life of Pirahã people for 12 years in order to understand their culture and language, which made him abandon his faith in Christianity (because of the relation between culture and religion).

These are just some of the stories from the book. This book resonated with the Einstein: His Life and Universe and with the stories I heard about Benedito de Espinoza. Masters like them had strong beliefs on what they were doing/researching and dedicated their life to it.

Some of the stories presented in the book made me think differently about how to approach problems and how to plan my life to reach my goals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastery.

May 19, 2016 – Shelved