Samantha's Reviews > Within the Flames

Within the Flames by Marjorie M. Liu

Apr 28, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance

After reading In the Dark of Dreams I was a little worried about going into this one. The previous book in this series, just didn’t really click with me. However, I was sucked into the story the moment I read the first line of, “A dragon slept beneath New York City.”

When she was twelve, Lyssa watched her parents murdered for their powers. Feared and cast out of the shapeshifter community because of her mother’s heritage, Lyssa has no one to turn to. In order to survive, she has been living on the streets hiding her erratic powers and avoiding others. However, the murder of the one person who knew what Lyssa was leads her parents’ killer straight to her, but it also sends Dirk and Steele pyrokinetic, Eddie, as well.

Eddie has always had trouble controlling his powers and his most recent flameout was caused by news that his sister’s killer has been released from jail for good behavior. He wants nothing more than to hunt down her murderer, but finds himself assigned with the task of finding and protecting Lyssa. Working with the gargoyle, Lannes, he discovers that Lyssa is not the helpless little lamb that they had been led to believe. Instead, he finds himself faced with a woman who everyone, Lannes included, seems to instinctively fear and hate. Soon enough, he finds himself the only one willing to help Lyssa take down her parents’ killer.

Eddie has been a reoccurring character in the series since the very first book, so I was pretty thrilled to see him get his own story. He hasn’t had it very easy, with his powers constantly flaring up and, once or twice, almost killing him. He also didn’t have a very great childhood, growing up with an abusive step-father and then living on the streets for a little while. What I loved about this, though, was how his past experiences made it easier for him to understand where Lyssa was coming from. He was understanding of her predicament, but also knew when to push at the walls she put up around herself.

Lyssa was another of Liu’s great heroines, but I think she was also one of the most vulnerable. Don’t misunderstand when I say vulnerable for lacking backbone though. The girl has some serious guts; she just has been on her own for a really long time and it shows. So, to have Eddie pop into her life and then refuse to abandon her, even with everyone saying that he should, both touches and scares her to death. She’s petrified that he’ll die either by her own hand or by the person who’s hunting her. Eddie, for his part though, is a stubborn mule and refuses to give in. I rather adore him.

One of the things that I really love about this series is how Liu incorporates her side characters into the series. She never makes them flat and when she brings in main characters from past books, it’s always to serve a purpose. She did that in this one with Lannes, the hero from The Wild Road. He was a pretty prominent figure in the story, but he wasn’t exactly the good guy in this book, which I just loved. He had reasons behind his motivations and seeing how much he feared and hated Lyssa highlighted just how prejudiced the paranormal community is against her. Because seriously? Lannes is such a sweet character that seeing animosity and distrust from him was pretty shocking.

My only complaint, which really isn’t a complaint but me pouting, is that Koni didn’t make an appearance in this book. I missed the crow shifter. He’s the character that I always look forward to seeing in these books. Since Eddie got his own book I’m hoping and praying that Liu will eventually give Koni his. And, after reading this story, I also kind of want to see Roland get more page time. He had a pretty kick ass moment here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Within the Flames.

April 28, 2011 – Shelved