Elizabeth's Reviews > A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

May 18, 2016

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read April 13, 2017.

(Update 4/13/2017: I reread in prepartation for ACOWAR. Tamlin is still horrible. Rhys is still horrible. Lucien is pretty horrible. You get a crappy fae! And YOU get a crappy male fae! Older review is below. I still stand by this review even from the perspective of having read ACOMAF.)

I’m typing this review on the desktop at my dad’s house, and I am trying to imagine myself at 16-years-old, chatting with strangers and stealing music on LimeWire. I’m trying to place myself in that headspace. The influences in my life and choices I made. I think that’s important to keep in mind when reviewing this book. Who is this book intended for? Who it is marketed to?

I am not saying 16-year-old girls are complete idiots, but I was a complete idiot. I did things without thinking through the consequences. I laughed and cried in the same breath. I felt so fully that I thought my heart would burst at times. I loved people (boys) who did not love me, and I did things to just feel loved even for a moment. Now I picture that same girl reading this book. I see her soaking in the abusive and manipulative relationships that are romanticized and glorified between the lines. Picking between Tamlin and Rhys is like picking a poison, and I am not talking a sexy, dangerous poison. I’m talking one that will literally take away your inhibitions and make you do things that you would not do otherwise.

A book shouldn’t teach girls that it is okay for a boy to do what he wants with you just because it is “the Great Rite”.
A book shouldn’t teach girls that it is okay for a boy to give you a drink that makes you forget.

We should teach girls to say no. We should teach girls that no is okay.

We should teach them to love but love for the right reasons. Don’t let love become you. Let love highlight you (like a great Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder). Don’t let love complete you. Let love compliment you.

There are many reasons to fear this book, but just because I fear what it stands for doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. I genuinely enjoyed Feyre and her story, and I look forward to the next book in the series. Now, what the hell Liz, you just gave us that long speech about respecting ourselves…

Yes, I did, but respect yourself enough to know when there is something wrong with what you enjoy. Be able to separate Feyre’s decisions from your own. Separate what Rhys gives Feyre to drink from what some nice boy hands you at a party. Respect your instinct. Respect what so many other 16-year-olds have done before and will continue to do. Respect that 16-year-old because her feelings and decisions should be validated. She is a person that you will one day become, already are, or once were.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Thorns and Roses.

May 18, 2016 – Started Reading
May 18, 2016 – Shelved
May 18, 2016 –
page 66
15.87% "So far this is Hunger Games if Katniss didn't go to the games and just went to a mansion party with two sassy dudes in weird masks. Not gonna lie, I really like it so far. I already like the protagonist more than SJM's other female lead *sips tea but still dreams about Empire of Storms*"
May 20, 2016 –
page 85
20.43% "Ohh, so this girl's "artistic quirk" is going to be painting...greatttt...Let me guess, the dude is going to give her an art studio and she'll be like Rachael Leigh Cook in "She's All That" and take off her glasses and overalls and he'll see that humans do posses beauty because she can paint beautiful things and then they'll make out on top of the paints?"
May 23, 2016 –
page 198
47.6% "Uhhhh... no one told me this was THAT type of book. *lights candles* *plays al green* ~scene where Tamlin turns into primal, rape animal~ *turns lights on* *washes in holy water*"
May 24, 2016 –
page 268
64.42% "Loving the moody, bad boy. Reminds me of the boys at Hot Topic that were too cool for me. What's his name? Rhys? Pronounced Reese's Cup, right?"
May 25, 2016 –
page 305
73.32% "I've got nothing witty, guys. Sorry."
May 28, 2016 –
page 381
91.59% "It's making me very uncomfortable the amount of slut shaming Feyre has had to endure through the last fourth of this book. Sorry guys, Reese's Cup is a dick, and I am not a fan."
May 28, 2016 –
page 387
93.03% "Alright, I'm just going to put this out there now before I get too close to the end. If the answer to the riddle is "love", I'm going to howl into the night and go j"
May 29, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 13, 2017 – Started Reading
April 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by layan (new) - added it

layan haha, i felt the same way!

message 2: by Pip (new)

Pip Yes!!!! This is why I can't make myself read this. Thank you! I wish everyone could see this review

Brooke I love this. I love this so much.

message 4: by James (new)

James Lawner I've seen a lot of crazy shit before in Story Media and this book sounds like one of those things I've seen before and I'm still not sure if I wanna read this one day :/

Caroline I'm curious to see what you'll think of the sequel, as many of the relationship issues are addressed there.

Melanie This is probably the best review I've read on Goodreads all year, Elizabeth. It sounds like you and me were very similar sixteen-year-old girls, and this review is so important. 11/10

Laken Scott As a 16 year old complete idiot, I completely agree. This is a really important point and I will be showing my friends this review as they read this book. THANK YOU SO MUCH

message 8: by h. (new) - rated it 4 stars

h. WHICH IS WHY YOU NEED TO READ THE SECOND BOOK! It's completely different.

AnasTassia Wowwza

Stephanie I completely agree that there are a lot of things wrong with this book and with Tamlin and Rhys treatment of Feyre. Thankfully though, the second book explains why a lot of that behavior was bad. The second book is so much better because it compares the toxic love that Feyre and Tamlin have to a healthy love that is shown in the second book. It shows how partners should respect each other and love each other as equals. Seriously, I'm not even kidding no when I say the second book is SO MUCH better than the first book xD

message 11: by Merphy (new)

Merphy Napier I loved this review. I thought it was horribly abusive and terrifying too. And it shocked me how much people romanticized it (like twilight on steroids). I haven't seen anyone else with these thoughts. So happy to read this