Philip's Reviews > The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, thriller, female-author

3.5ish stars.

Far from perfect, but far from awful. Despite its many faults it's never less than highly readable and fluid. It's never particularly pulse-pounding but it somehow always held my attention.

It honestly isn't twisty or suspenseful enough for me. It's super streamlined and reads more or less like a series of neat, orderly interviews with each of the various players in the mystery. Even at the 11 o'clock reveal, there's never a sense of danger or serious tension, it's just the natural progression of things. Detective investigates mystery; detective follows lead 1; detective follows lead 2; repeat several more times; detective solves mystery; case closed.

Cormoran's a decent character but I really could have done without being told 849 times how hairy he is. It seems like Rowling goes through each of his individual body parts to describe how hairy they all are. Maybe someone can explain to me why he has hot psychos and supermodels all wanting to bed him... Robin has plenty of page time but she really should have been featured a lot more! She's one of the best things the novel has going for it.

I'm down to read book 2 but not in a rush.

Posted in Mr. Philip's Library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cuckoo's Calling.

May 18, 2016 – Shelved
June 5, 2017 – Started Reading
June 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Donna Nice review! This series does get better as it goes along, including even more page time for Robin. :)

Vavita I liked the second book more than the first one.

message 3: by Beige (new)

Beige I had no interest in reading this until your review and the 849 mentions of hairiness. Lol. Sounds odd.

Philip Vavita wrote: "I liked the second book more than the first one."

Donna wrote: "Nice review! This series does get better as it goes along, including even more page time for Robin. :)"

That's encouraging to hear that. I'll probably end up reading it sooner rather than later in that case. :)

Philip Beige wrote: "I had no interest in reading this until your review and the 849 mentions of hairiness. Lol. Sounds odd."

Haha yes it was kind of bizarre. But despite that it's definitely worth reading!

Adina haha, yes the hairy details bothered me as well.

message 7: by P (new)

P I'm so afraid to read her other books haha but I'll try.

Philip Adina wrote: "haha, yes the hairy details bothered me as well."

Yeah it was a little much haha. TMI especially when it's repeated like that.

Philip P wrote: "I'm so afraid to read her other books haha but I'll try."

I'm still really scared to read The Casual Vacancy but this is a pretty safe bet haha.

Robyn Well between a furry hero and a character named Robin, I think I'm in. :-)

message 11: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I think the later books in the series are better!