Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

liked it

Actual Rating: 2.5*

I'm SUPER underwhelmed by this one. I had such high expectations because of the beautiful covers and the glowing reviews from people who absolutely loved it. But I found myself a bit bored, especially near the end.

I'm not a huge fan of chapters that start with interviews or transcripts that sort of tell you what is about to happen in this section because I feel like it takes away from the story. It takes me to the end of the story, where we know everything has worked out for at least one person, instead of keeping me in the tense, "will they make it or not" part of the actual story. This heavily distracted me and made me feel unconnected to the characters.

I also didn't buy into the romance that much. I understood it being there and I wanted to like the characters together, but I was just so meh with them individually that I didn't care about them as a couple. And I just felt like it was too obvious they were going to fall in love (and they were so hot and bothered right from the beginning and then were like "LOL NOPE" that I was like sighing while reading in a bad way).

What kept me going was the hope for aliens and like an interesting plot. And while it semi-delivered on that front, I feel like the plot was used more for forwarding the romance. Which :( But I will probably continue on with the series because space! But it's not a run out and buy right now kind of series.

Read this as part of Summer Series Challenge hosted by Amanda @ Brains Books Brawn!

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Broken Stars.

May 18, 2016 – Shelved
May 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 6, 2016 – Started Reading
page 75
19.53% "I'm not super duper loving this one"
page 125
32.55% "I'm feeling a bit of a disconnect because what is being said in the "interview" isn't the same as what's happening in the chapters but I'm not sure WHY Tarver is lying (because he loves Lilac??)"
page 165
42.97% "hm"
page 183
47.66% "I'm not sure I care about this??"
page 259
67.45% "I hope they are doing the do tbh"
June 6, 2016 – Finished Reading