C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Crown's Fate

The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye

Mar 24, 2017

bookshelves: 5-star, epic-fantasy, read-2017, young-adult

I am here to tell you this book is absolutely marvellously exquisite and absolutely everything I was hoping for. <3 <3 Like can I flail enough??? Will I ever be able to flail enough??? Absolutely magical and dark and beautiful and imagination at 5000% perfection.

Although I lowkey admit I didn’t want it to be the finale! If there are more books in Vika, Pasha, and Nikolai’s world I would be totally on board for that. I might even pass bribes of cake, let’s be real here. You know a book is excellent when the world so so captivates you with its breathtaking descriptions and complexities that you want INFINITELY MORE OF IT. And I love how it mixes historical-Russia with a dash of magic that just makes everything all the more special. Because every book should have magic in it. #fact

One thing I particularly enjoyed about this sequel is that it’s a lot darker than the first book. Erm, yes, cue that moment where you think, “OKAY, CAIT YOU’RE A LITTLE SCARY.” And it’s true. I am. But honestly. I am here to be chilled a little! We have shadow realms and darker magic and DEATH, with the return of sinister powers and with Nikolai frolicking in the dark side. I love him 5000% more now.

And you know how sequels sometimes fall into a bunch of awkward cliches? NOT SO HERE. It basically had THE LIST of things a sequel should be. Shh shhh, sit tight, let me give you a list.

LIST OF THINGS I LOVED PARTICULARLY SO:
• Plenty of character development. Like they’re ALL reeling from the heart-wrenching finale of book one, and the effects are soooo palpable I JUST MIGHT HAVE AN EMOTION.
• Deepens the magic system. We get to see MORE of what the magicians can do, and since they were pretty dang spectacular the first time round, this is THE BEST.
• There is food. AKA Vika makes an edible Christmas tree and I think this is why I love her.
• Higher stakes. Which means you’re going to experience pain.
• Death. HAAAA HAHA MWHAHAH HA. I’LL SAY NO MORE.
• Girl power. Like SERIOUS girl power. Vika is #Fabulousness personified, and Yuliana (Pasha’s sister) just slays with her ability to run a kingdom because Pasha is adorable and I love him but he’s also as useful as a grape.
• Better than the first! And I loved the first a lot, so this is saying something. All the AND ADORATION.

And excuse me while I take another moment for foodie appreciation. Look, I’m not try to tell you how to live your life, but if your epic fantasy doesn’t have gobs and gobs of delicious foodie descriptions, WHAT IS IT DOING. The Crown’s Fate RULES for the foodie levels.

And while it is about love, it’s also about friendship and family.
Which is my favourite thing in books. I can’t be more happy with how it all worked out and like AGH MY POOR BROKEN CHILDREN. <3 I loved getting to see Pasha and Nikolai interact as brothers now. Although, let’s be real: they took sibling rivalry to the next level. AH HOW I LOVE THEM.

Is it possible to flail enough over this book?!?
I THINK NOT. It perfectly balanced gorgeous writing, a rich and imaginative Russia, with characters I care SO SO much about!! The plot was fast-paced and rich with intrigue and twists. It’s definitely a highlight of my year so far (and this is coming from someone who’s read 100 books so far!) and basically Evelyn Skye is an auto-buy author for me now. The Crown’s Fate is absolutely darkly magical, beautiful, and total perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown's Fate.

May 18, 2016 – Shelved
May 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 22, 2017 – Started Reading
March 22, 2017 –
26.0% "I always get nervous reading sequels because what if they're not as gooooood as the first book?!? *existential crisis*

Good news.

THIS IS EXCELLENT.

(Also the cover looks like Russia got puked on by a rainbow and I am a fan.)"
March 23, 2017 –
35.0% "And Vika just conjured an edible Christmas tree.
THIS IS THE MOST SENSIBLE THING I'VE EVER READ."
March 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 24, 2017 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
March 24, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
March 24, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (Instagram - longmayweread) W I'm so envious I neeed this book

Caitlin I need this book!!

madeline h. ✶ (semi hiatus) ooh i'm so glad it was good!!

Nadhira Satria I can't wait!!!!!

Stacy I had read some not-so-positive reviews, so I'm so glad to read yours. It makes me excited for this book all over again!!

C.G. Drews @Stacy: YaY!! I'm glad to hear that!! It's definitely one of my favourites of this year.

Isaa Jason Amazing review! THANKS♥️