Lori's Reviews > The Undaunted : The Miracle of the Hole-in-the-Rock Pioneers

The Undaunted  by Gerald N. Lund

Apr 28, 2011

Read in April, 2011

I love stories of the LDS pioneers and early days of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This was a very interesting story and portrayed the overwhelming demand of the mission call to establish LDS settlers in the San Juan area - four corners area of Utah. Gerald Lund is an amazing author and I absolutely loved his series The Work and The Glory. This book, however, was a little bit slower and less complex. But, the descriptions of the difficult terrain and amazing accomplishments of these pioneers getting their wagons and their animals through absolutely impossible looking obstacles. The people of this group suffered and many of their animals died. Lund describes the challenges of the terrain explicitly and the reader feels and agonizes over each one. My favorite part, however, was the Epilogue where Lund gives the historical data about the status of the settlement and the pioneers that made it. Through their great faith, these pioneers truly were "undaunted." Also, at the end of the book Lund provides a website address where one can view the mapped out trek and each of the major obstacles/challenges of the route. I went on the site and was so excited to be able to look at photographs of the areas of difficulty. The country is beautiful! And, better yet, I live in St. George, Utah, so I'm very close to it! I am trying to plan a family vacation to travel there and experience the trail and see the sites. There was a bit of information about the status of the Latter-Day Saints with the Indians and some of the trecherous encounters of the pioneers and the Indians. I now understand what an incredible Saint Jacob Hamlin is and desire now to run down to Santa Clara and see his historical residence, which I never even understood why he was so important! He was one of the Saints who worked at establishing peace between the Saints and the Indians. Very, very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undaunted .