Vera Godley's Reviews > Return

Return by Aaron Becker

I previously reviewed books #1 and #2 in the Journey trilogy by Caldecott Honoree Aaron Becker. This beautifully drawn and conceived trilogy has not a word in them. As a wordless trilogy it has spectacular imagery and it takes the "reader" on a journey from boredom to exciting adventure - a complete round trip out and back home.
description
Now the finale is available bringing the journey to an exciting close. From being a lonely girl to making a friend to encountering kings, creatures at castles, and enveloped in beautifully enchanting landscapes of water, sky, and land.

Colored is somewhat muted in book #1, the illustrations utilize more color in book #2 and simply explode with color (and excitement) in the finale, #3.

Children enjoy "telling" the story time after time and in their own words as they grasp the details fuller with each reading. Wordless books give a decided opportunity for the parent to help the child to engage more fully in recognizing the tiniest of details that make a story.

In Return the little girl is again very bored and so leaves through the magical door. This time, though, her father notices she is gone and seeing the door open, follows her. An exciting adventure ensues climaxing with a really good reason to return home this time. Aaron Becker's watercolor scenes explode with excitement as he paints the lonely girl's way through this story.

The king and crown, the boy with the purple crayon, the inattentive father, and the little girl desiring to take her red crayon and color her way through some fun and activities bring a pallet of enjoyment to the reader.

I am hosting a #giveaway of the first 2 books on my blog: Chat With Vera - ENDS 7/23/2016 http://chatwithvera.blogspot.com/2016...

DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy from the publisher to facilitate this review. Opinions are my own and I was not compensated for the review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return.

May 18, 2016 – Shelved