Anita Leila's Reviews > En attendant Doggo

En attendant Doggo by Mark Mills

liked it
bookshelves: french-books

This book was short, sweet, and just generally an enjoyable read for an afternoon. It tells the story of Dan, who has just been dumped by his girlfriend, who also left their mangy dog ("Doggo") with him, despite the fact that he doesn't like the dog at all, and the dog doesn't like him. Although relations are tense at first, soon they settle into a routine that suits both of them, and they start becoming closer. Dan starts a new job, meets a new girl and falls into competition with his boss, who is having an affair with said girl. They work in advertising, so they're also in competition with all their coworkers. Little by little, Doggo starts to win over everyone's heart, and Dan goes from being a total loser to a pretty cool guy.

The story sounds cliché and totally lacking in substance: and I can't lie, it wasn't the most thought-provoking book. But it was different to the kinds of book that I normally read, and it was nice to read yet another French book that is totally quirky. This book put me in the mood to get a dog and go for walks around the park, and make up cheesy slogans for random products.

One thing that I didn't like about it, however, was how much of a "chick magnet" Dan was. Although he says himself that he is a loser, somehow he manages to sleep with 3 girls in the period of 3 months. It's time for male authors to stop living their fantasies through the books that they write ! I'll accept that he had one long term girlfriend, and although it's a stretch that the super attractive co-worker would find him interesting enough to be attractive, why would the ex-girlfriend's sister want to go there... why ? Plus the fact that apparently, Dan was such a character that attractive co-worker didn't sleep with any other men until she had the chance to sleep with him.... OK.

But yeah ! Cool book, I just get annoyed at how, time after time, books written by male authors will have even the most pathetic man as someone extraordinarily attractive to women, and all these supermodel-like women becoming celibate because of him. Nonetheless, the book was enjoyable to read, and a pretty easy level of French so I'd recommend to anyone who already speaks it and wants to gently improve.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read En attendant Doggo.

May 18, 2016 – Shelved