aPriL does feral sometimes 's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

A die-off of men? Not a real stretch of imagination for me, actually...I live in a senior park.

This comic book reminded me a great deal of Stephen King's The Stand as I read. That is a good thing! The plot twists kept me turning pages as well. The characters are not cute, but true to life. Women can definitely be as hard and crazy as men. If most men died from some strange event as they do in 'Y', women would certainly fill in the spaces left by the absences of males. However, in this comic's universe, I think the women of authority and governance are still recovering or in shock. They do not seem to have any organizing done yet. But the lowlife gang girls and extremists are certainly pulling together effective mafias.

However, the hostility directed against Yorick by so many vigilante women doesn't quite ring true. He doesn't know why he wasn't affected by whatever killed all of the men and neither does the government or his mother. I can't see any intelligent woman, much less his mother or the USA government, permitting him to roam about, traveling with a single bodyguard to try to reach Boston or Australia. There would normally be intense lab tests, and scientists demanding constant access to poor Yorick, to mention one very likely outcome of his survival, but this usual scientific crisis-mode and massive response is made over into a somewhat of a casual single discussion in this story.

However, 'Y' is definitely suspenseful. I have decided to stop judging the implausible bits for now. I am curious how the series will end. Since this is volume 1 of 10, obviously there are cliffhangers left. On to volume 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

May 18, 2016 – Started Reading
May 18, 2016 – Shelved
May 22, 2016 –
65.0% "The men all died except Yorick, alas, poor man."
May 22, 2016 – Shelved as: alt-universe