J.L. Sutton's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

liked it

This was a difficult review to write. I was immediately drawn into Lev Grossman’s The Magicians, but then spent most of the remainder of the book wondering why I was reading it. The several parts of the book had a schizophrenic quality which didn’t always seem to have much to do with preceding sections or what came after. Still, it was well-written and I appreciated Grossman’s depiction of the magical world as something other than a place of awe and wonder. His rich, spoiled mages help create something of a Hogwart’s/Narnia mashup of Less than Zero. To escape what they come to view as meaningless existence, these mages travel to the mythical world of Fillory and become involved in a war they clearly don’t understand (seemingly because they have become bored with their lives and have nothing better to do). But just when I thought it would end in this aimless fashion, a really compelling conclusion drew me back in (and beckoned me to the next book). Curse you Lev Grossman! 2.5 Stars rounded up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

May 11, 2016 – Started Reading
May 16, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 17, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Isn't it frustrating when a book is not that great but then the ending sucks you back in? It doesn't seem fair! Nice review.

Tiffany Here I thought I was the only one that felt this way about this book. All I have even seen were glowing reviews. I didn't decide to read the rest of the series.

message 3: by BAM (new) - rated it 2 stars

BAM The Bibliomaniac The best of the three is the last. I suffered through them. Then I sold them. I had such high hopes for this trilogy because it was being compared to Harry Potter and Narnia. Alas, it was not. So not

Larissa Agree completely! Story borrowed so heavily From Narnia and HP and the writing was not great, not to mention the countless failures of logic and internal coherence. I'll probably read the rest of it just to see what happens but I certainly have no desire to just leap straight in to the next one.

Robin (Bridge Four) This was a difficult review to write. I was immediately drawn into Lev Grossman’s The Magicians, but then spent most of the remainder of the book wondering why I was reading it.

That is totally how I felt. Summed up perfectly