Charming Language's Reviews > Like I Can Love

Like I Can Love by Kim Lock

May 17, 2016

It’s been awhile since I’ve read a book I wanted to yell at. Do you know what I mean? The kind of book that has you sitting in bed at 3am, unable to stop reading, and wishing you could grab one of the characters and slap them with the very paperback you’re resting on your knees. Like I Can Love is one of THOSE books, containing some of the most sympathetic and infuriating characters I’ve met in recent reading adventures.

Australian author Kim Lock’s second novel is a tale of secrets and lies. 26 year old Jenna has the perfect existence – a loving husband, an adorable son and a dream home on a glamorous estate in South Australia’s wine growing region. So, why does she take her own life in the first few pages? Her friends and family are left to unpack the mystery of what was going in Jenna’s life before it ended so tragically.

To say much much more would lead to major spoilers, so I’ll leave the main plotline at that. But this goes straight on my ‘must read’ book list for the subtle intensity of Jenna and her husband Ark’s beautifully drawn relationship, which shines new light on the notion of domestic violence.

A longer review is available at charminglanguage.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like I Can Love.

April 26, 2016 – Started Reading