aPriL does feral sometimes 's Reviews > The Complete Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction, mysteries-potboilers-thrillers
Read 2 times. Last read June 10, 2019 to August 10, 2019.

I can't remember how often I've read and reread this book collection. More than 20 times since elementary school. Literally the only book that never quit on me, and it was a used book I picked up for 10 cents. Sherlock was my first crush I guess. Even now I simply cannot be objective on any level in regards to this character. It's probably a good thing I moved on to the Man From U.N.C.L.E. Well, maybe not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Sherlock Holmes.

Started Reading
August 5, 2019 –
77.0% ""His Last Bow"

:' )"
August 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Shan (new)

Shan I had a children's version of some of the stories, and didn't read them all till I was in my 30s. I've reread them multiple times since then. I have the Stephen Fry audio version on my phone, which reliably puts me to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night. I have the paperback shown in the illustration here; the intro to it says something like "if you haven't read these, how lucky you are to be reading them for the first time."

aPriL does feral sometimes Oh, wow, that is a wonderful statement "if you haven't..." and so true!

:' )

I got the Stephen Fry audio, too! I can't wait to re-read with Stephen! He is so wonderful as well!

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Amazing - 20 times!

aPriL does feral sometimes Graeme wrote: "Amazing - 20 times!"

When I crush on fictional heroes, watch out!

: p

message 5: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan LOL.

message 6: by JZ (new)

JZ I lost track of how many tmes, and i used to have 5 or 8 versions in print, including a reproduction of the Strand pages. Wonder where they all are now. I listen to Ralph Cosham reading them, too.

aPriL does feral sometimes In my current re-read, I have just read the story of Watson meeting Mary, his wife-to-be, in “The Sign of the Four”.

It STILL makes me laugh how his shoulder injury from the British Afghanistan war in “A Study in Scarlet” becomes a limp from a war-damaged leg in this novella.

message 8: by PyranopterinMo (new)

PyranopterinMo My feelings are that the detective story has advanced light years since. I read the whole set in high school and I remember some of the plots very well. I much prefer magical or historical detective stories like Steven Saylor's ancient Rome series of Barry Hugharts over the top Master Li and number ten Ox. Even Len Deighton's city of gold made a bigger impression on me. Of course I admit I like to disagree with popular opinion.

aPriL does feral sometimes I enjoyed reading many of those mysteries as well!

message 10: by PyranopterinMo (new)

PyranopterinMo I saw one of Barry Hughart's books when I compared books. I also found out it's a been translated to Hebrew. Bridge of Birds. I started with the second, The Story of the Stone, I think.

message 11: by PyranopterinMo (new)

PyranopterinMo A very complicated story and perhaps the guestbook I've read.

message 12: by PyranopterinMo (new)

PyranopterinMo Funniest: curse you spell check

message 14: by PyranopterinMo (new)

PyranopterinMo I just found a Sherlock Holmes adaptation by Esther Friesner among the books my dad left me-of course I am reading it. Esther m. Friesner's Druid's Blood. There is no denying the genre is amazing.