Rikki's Reviews > Cronin's Key

Cronin's Key by N.R. Walker

May 17, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, glbt, romance, urban-fantasy

N. R. Walker should stick with contemporary storylines that don't involve any world building. The vampire lore that was created here was nonsensical and complete bollocks. The logical argument of "cats like vampires -> cats protect vampires -> that's why lions are on every bloody banner in the world -> there you have it, proofs of vampires are everywhere, you just have to look" is so ridiculous, it's not funny anymore. The whole backstory was told in a few info dump scenes where Alec asked irrelevant questions that wouldn't occur to anyone faced with that sort of stuff. I am not saying that the world couldn't have been interesting, but the vampire angle was overdone and just impossible to believe.

I don't mind insta-love or fated lovers one bit, but I'm not thrilled about the no-choice-at-all situation. Alec didn't like it at the beginning, but was ok with it in the end, because all of a sudden he had convinced himself that he would have chosen Cronin anyway. How does he know this?

Anyway, apart from that "I can't help loving you" situation which already diminished the relationship in my eyes the love scenes were boring to boot. I have read Blind Faith which had some scenes that were very nicely done. This led me to expect something along the same lines (especially since those two guys here had NO issues at all with each other) but I was disappointed. The connection between Alex and Cronin just wasn't there. The love scenes were bland and uninspired. I have read random hookups in men's restrooms that were more sensual. I can't begin to describe how mechanical, emotionless and impersonal those scenes were. Plus, purring - unless you are a cat - is not on my top ten list of pleasure sounds. Cronin is supposed to be a vampire who kills for food, for crying out loud, he doesn't purr!

A disappointing read. I will give the other books in this series a wide berth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cronin's Key.

May 17, 2016 – Started Reading
May 17, 2016 – Shelved
May 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2016 –
page 70
26.42% "Can't say I care for the vampire lore."
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction