Tiff at Mostly YA Lit's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

liked it

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 stars. Second read. Spoilers everywhere.

Very cute, but on second read, I noticed a few moments where girls were slut-shamed for their clothing - for dressing a certain way. It's early in the book and I do think the characters sort of learn from their mistakes and realize that people aren't what they appear - Tyson, in particular, puts this in perspective for Penny. I don't think the author meant for the slut-shaming to happen, but it did. The other thing that bothered me was that I didn't find it totally believable that the principal of the school would really call Penny into his office to ask her to disband a club because she was getting too much power. It was a cool scene because it allowed us to see Penny's parents standing up for her, but it didn't ring true for me. Why would the principal care if they hadn't done anything wrong? That said, the heart and message of the book was definitely of celebrating femininity and female friendships, and it was definitely meant to be one girl's attempt to navigate what it means to be strong and feminist - without losing romance. Overall, really enjoyed this quick read and looking forward to seeing what happens next to Penny and the Lonely Hearts Club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Club.

April 27, 2011 – Shelved
October 20, 2014 – Started Reading
October 20, 2014 –
0.0% "Re-read because A Hard Day's Night reminded me how much I love this book!"
October 21, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) Wonderful review!! I am really excited to read this cute book :) But ehhh, I HATE slut-shaming...

diana I loved the book and I just learned that there's a next book thanks to you :)

message 3: by Amber (last edited Nov 17, 2014 04:17PM) (new) - added it

Amber (YA Indulgences) I think I may have to give this book a go. It immeidately sounded interesting to me, then I read a negative review about it and some of the aspects didn't really appeal to me. Nonetheless, it's getting a sequel next year so I might as well pick it up. :) Nice review.

Tiff at Mostly YA Lit Rachel (Miss Perfection) wrote: "Wonderful review!! I am really excited to read this cute book :) But ehhh, I HATE slut-shaming..."

It's not THAT bad...it was one or two references, and I feel like she learned from them...I suspect in the next book, there will be none at all.

Tiff at Mostly YA Lit diana (chaotic reader) wrote: "I loved the book and I just learned that there's a next book thanks to you :)"

Aren't you super excited?! I'm dying for the next book - I feel like that's where everything will get bigger and better.

Tiff at Mostly YA Lit Amber wrote: "I think I may have to give this book ago. It immeidately sounded interesting to me, then I read a negative review about it and some of the aspects didn't really appeal to me. Nonetheless, it's gett..."

It's very, very fun. It's my favourite of Eulberg's books - it's really fresh and girl power-ish. Hope you enjoy!