Tentatively, Convenience's Reviews > WR: Mysteries of the Organism

WR by Dušan Makavejev

bookshelves: film

The "WR" here stands for Wilhelm Reich, the great pioneer of sexual understanding & great critic of repressive social systems. Reich was imprisoned in the United States - basically as a quack - & his bks were burned. He died in prison. It can't happen here, right?! The incredible Yugoslavian director Dusan Makavejev made this paeon to Reich's theories mixed w/ a spectacularly bombastic monstrosity of sexual humor & political satire. This, & Makavajev's "Sweet Movie", represent(s) a particular peak in the director's style. What boggles my mind is that such films get made at all. & that so many truly incredible films get made, bks get written, music gets played.. - &, yet, tune in the tv, look at the newspapers, what do you see? Imbecility out the wazoo! I mean you'd think that humanity is barely functional - w/ no individual minds worth speaking of. Wch is, apparently, what this society, & Iran, & so many others appears to have in mind. I named one of my favorite films that I ever made: "You Haven't Heard the Record, You Haven't Read the Book! NOW!! Don't See the Movie!!" & that about sums it up. If you don't make at least SOME effort to find out about the mind-boggling culture that DOES INDEED EXIST out there, you'll be doomed to Britney Spears HELL for the rest of yr life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WR.

Finished Reading