tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > WR: Mysteries of the Organism

WR by Dušan Makavejev

bookshelves: film

The "WR" here stands for Wilhelm Reich, the great pioneer of sexual understanding & great critic of repressive social systems. Reich was imprisoned in the United States - basically as a quack - & his bks were burned. He died in prison. It can't happen here, right?! The incredible Yugoslavian director Dusan Makavejev made this paeon to Reich's theories mixed w/ a spectacularly bombastic monstrosity of sexual humor & political satire. This, & Makavajev's "Sweet Movie", represent(s) a particular peak in the director's style. What boggles my mind is that such films get made at all. & that so many truly incredible films get made, bks get written, music gets played.. - &, yet, tune in the tv, look at the newspapers, what do you see? Imbecility out the wazoo! I mean you'd think that humanity is barely functional - w/ no individual minds worth speaking of. Wch is, apparently, what this society, & Iran, & so many others appears to have in mind. I named one of my favorite films that I ever made: "You Haven't Heard the Record, You Haven't Read the Book! NOW!! Don't See the Movie!!" & that about sums it up. If you don't make at least SOME effort to find out about the mind-boggling culture that DOES INDEED EXIST out there, you'll be doomed to Britney Spears HELL for the rest of yr life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WR.