C.J. Colello's Reviews > Under One Roof: The Yankees, the Cardinals, and a Doctor's Battle to Integrate Spring Training

Under One Roof by Adam Henig

U 50x66

“Under One Roof: The Yankees, the Cardinals, and a Doctor's Battle to Integrate Spring Training” is a non-fiction, historical portrait of the impressive movement to end segregation in southern Florida, specifically in major league baseball. It highlights the impressive efforts of African American doctor Ralph Wimbish and his family to advocate for the dismantling of segregation in public places, most notably in the separate, and often inadequate, housing provided for African American baseball players during Spring training in Florida.

Despite being an historical account, “Under One Roof” does not remotely read like a textbook. It is engaging and enlightening, sharing in an open and relatable way the struggles that Wimbish and the affected baseball players endured on their quest for equality. All of the information was thoroughly researched and, despite an obvious bias in favor of desegregation, is fair in its representation of all people involved. All of the many sides of the debate were presented, with direct quotes from multiple sources that add to the development of this interesting story.

Although I, personally, have always been an avid fan of history, I was unaware of the plight of African American baseball players after their inductions to the teams. I had always assumed that once they were in, they were in, and that was that. To learn that there was further discrimination and segregation inflicted upon them afterwards, in the hotel accommodations (or lack thereof) and restaurant meals they were offered during the Spring training season was very surprising. I had also never heard of Ralph Wimbish or any of the astounding feats he accomplished for the African American community in his lifetime. It is a chapter of history that, as the author points out, is largely ignored. It shouldn’t be.

“Under One Roof” was a true eye-opener, bringing to light something that most of us are blissfully ignorant of. It was an enchanting read, well-written and thoroughly researched, even including personal interviews with the surviving members of the Wimbish family. Any sports fan, historian, student, or reader will find something to enjoy in this novel. I cannot recommend this book enough. It was a phenomenal read, even for someone like me, who does not follow sports well. I will most definitely be on the lookout for other works by its author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under One Roof.

May 16, 2016 – Started Reading
May 17, 2016 – Shelved
May 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb CJ, in your review you refer to Under One Roof as a novel. I believe you meant book, Under One Roof is in fact nonfiction. I am currently reading this book.

message 2: by Deb (new)