Meagan's Reviews > A Torch Against the Night

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir

Jan 19, 2017

bookshelves: classroom-library

Not going to lie it took me a LONG time to finish this book mostly because I read the first one so long ago and this book both did something I like, and something I hate at the same time, it didn't recap book one briefly at the beginning. There was no memory refresh it was just immediate action and then maybe the occasional hint.

Some authors bug the crap out of me when they re-cap, others turn it into an art that you don't even notice. I really wish there would have been a bit of an ease in along side the immediate action at the beginning, I probably wouldn't have kept reading in such small chunks over the course of two months if there was. However once I got about 1/3 into the book the links all finally came into place and I read the remainder of the book in a weekend so it's all good!

The book itself was a fantastic follow up and Tahir proves in this that she is definitely a master planner when it comes to the way events work out in these books. These are not haphazard sequels, rather it is a carefully thought out continuation of a much loved first book.

I highly recommend this series to anyone else who is into magical realism, dystopias, and fantasy but is tired of the same old same old. Tahir has brilliantly succeeded in creating something new and it shouldn't be ignored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Torch Against the Night.

May 17, 2016 – Shelved