Kayla Ndife's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy

I have never read high or epic fantasy like this before.

When I started to read this, a lot of friends responded with, "I'm sorry." Their main reason, apparently, was Martin's brutality toward his own characters; a LOT of people die. However, I'd already seen the whole first season of the HBO show, so I was prepared for all the deaths, and STILL wanted to read the book... so I knew that, while it was still going to hurt, it would be worth it. I did genuinely love it.

Martin does not go the route that contemporary fantasy authors go; there are no knights in shining armor, there are no true heroes who always win. Shit happens. Sometimes evil wins over good. The fact of the matter is that he does not pull his punches, things happen realistically because his characters are crafted like real people, not tropes painted on cardboard cut-outs.

His characters are lovely; his setting superbly crafted; his battle scenes do not make you want to skip over reading them. This is by far one of the best books I have ever read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Kayla Ndife Liked

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

April 27, 2011 – Shelved
June 26, 2011 – Started Reading
June 26, 2011 –
page 35
June 26, 2011 –
page 87
10.39% "I'm in looooooove."
June 27, 2011 –
page 119
June 28, 2011 –
page 149
June 29, 2011 –
page 250
June 30, 2011 –
page 256
30.59% "I laid down in bed last night intending to read a chapter or two... but apparently I only read six pages. O.o I must have been exhausted... don't even remember falling asleep. Oh well!"
July 5, 2011 –
page 277
July 6, 2011 –
page 361
43.13% "I love getting paid $8.50 and hour to sit around and read."
July 7, 2011 –
page 379
45.28% "If you can't sleep... read. Which is what I did til 2am. Lysa Arryn is definitely crazy."
July 9, 2011 –