Bird's Reviews > One Grave at a Time

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

Apr 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, paranormal, read-in-2011, saucy

I'm cringing at what I'm about to say, but it's what I was thinking the whole time I was reading this novel: The Night Huntress series is getting dull. Yes, there's a mystery involving a dead witch hunter, and there are some good fight scenes and drama, but overall, it felt very flat to me.

Cat and Bones are so well-established in their relationship that it's gotten a trifle, well, boring. Yes, I'm glad they're so happy, but really, would a little angst kill anyone? Cat's gotten too calm and introspective for my tastes. I love how she used to be - act first, think later. She seemed more passionate and interesting than she is now, as she carefully thinks things through and considers options. I get it - she's maturing. While that's all well and good, it doesn't make for an exciting read.

Also, the mystery part irked me. Previously, the conflicts Cat and Bones were involved in were directly related to themselves and their relationship. The plot always felt like a natural progression. In this one, however, the mystery seems totally manufactured as in, "We have nothing else going on, so why not jump into this witch hunter thing?"

It's like when you're hanging out with your girlfriends, talking about your significant others. It's nice and heartwarming to hear when things are going so well and it's all rainbows and kittens for a close friend. But let's be honest, it's more exciting (and fun) to talk with the friend whose significant other frequently misbehaves. ("He said WHAT?!") Don't get me wrong, I love a good HEA as much as the next girl, but it's the getting there that I love. That's why stories usually end after the princess marries her prince. The exciting part's over. Who wants to see the daily squabbles about whose turn it is to take the garbage out?

As a side note, another reviewer on Goodreads mentioned in her review of Cat & Bones #4 that she thought that book was the last in the series because of the way it ended. Looking back, I think she was right, and it would have been a good place to end it. That's where Cat and Bones have worked through their problems and finally gotten a HEA. These last two books feel like they're just dragging the story out.

I will still read everything Jeaniene Frost writes, but I would be lying if I said that I'll be counting down the days until the next book releases. Hopefully her new series featuring Vlad will have the kind of passion and excitement Cat and Bones used to have. (Before they became an old married couple.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Grave at a Time.