Lola 's Reviews > Cracked Up to Be

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

bookshelves: high-school, contemporary

Every time I finish a book by Courtney Summers, all my brain seems to want to do is ponder the meaning of life.

It’s not even that her books are philosophical, but they’re just so raw that I feel emotionally connected to everything, and when I get to the last page, it all comes to a stop.

Except it doesn’t, because then I want to crawl back into the book and decorticate the main character some more. And I relate her to myself. And then I relate myself to the world. And then I relate the world to life.

It’s a peculiar longish procedure, which is why I don’t read Courtney Summers’ works all that often. Not that she has tons of novels written.

Why doesn’t she have tons of novels written? She sure has the talent and imagination necessary and I especially like how she doesn’t write what most people love reading about.

For instance, Parker – the heroine – is messed up. She did something bad, and she thinks she has to pay for it by sweeping everyone out of her life. One by one. She wants to be left alone, wallowing in her misery.

She’s mean. She’s unpleasantly honest. And she’s unreliable. She’ll make us think that we know her, but the truth is we don’t. Even she isn’t always sure what she wants. I love these types of characters so much.

A teacher I once had told us that the best characters we’ll come across in literature will be imperfect. She said those are the ones readers will be able to connect with. You know why. Because we’re imperfect, yet we still seek perfection.

Just ask Parker, she knows all about it. She used to be popular, heard-of-class and strikingly good at everything. A perfectionist. Before she fell apart.

What I also like about Summers’ books is how she never tries to overwhelm us. She paces her novels well and never adds the kind of thick atmosphere that will make us feel uncomfortable or unable to breathe.

Her novels are strangely quiet. It’s all calm… until it isn’t anymore… and then it’s calm again. Like the sea. But the themes are always so powerful that sometimes we’re scared we’re not going to be able to get them out of our minds.

Sigh… I just… can’t recommend this author enough.

BD | Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked Up to Be.

May 14, 2016 – Started Reading
May 15, 2016 – Shelved
May 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Oh my! I love this perfectly written review, Lola. You gave the best analysis of Courtney Summers’ books. Love your well expressed thoughts especially about what constitutes the perfect character. Your teachers are lucky to have a student like you who puts in her heart the things they teach. <3

message 2: by Nidofito (new) - added it

Nidofito She's been on my TBR for the longest time! I need to read her soon.

Lola Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Oh my! I love this perfectly written review, Lola. You gave the best analysis of Courtney Summers’ books. Love your well expressed thoughts especially about what constitutes the perfect character. ..."

Aj! Thank you so much for your comment! I know you're a fan of this author as well! I wish she had published something this year. As for the teacher, she's great. She always has something interesting t say. I once had a teacher that graduated from Harvard and he talked like an author would write a deep book. Hahaha, he was intriguing! Anyways, thanks again :D

Lola Nidofito wrote: "She's been on my TBR for the longest time! I need to read her soon."

*gasp* Go read her now :D You won't regret it!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Lola, what's your favorite book of hers?

Lola That would be "All the Rage". What about you?

message 7: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Beautiful review Lola :-)

message 8: by Aadivah (new)

Aadivah Amazing review Lola!

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I haven't read her yet. The horror!!! ;)

message 10: by Alp (new)

Alp Awesome review, Lola! :)

message 11: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,babe,xx

message 12: by Emer (new)

Emer Brilliant review Lola!! I keep searching for any CS books in my library or nearby bookstores and they never ever stock her!! I'm going to have to resort to an ebook I think (even though they aren't my preference booooo!!!) Going to add this one to my TBR too :))

Lola Judith wrote: "Great review,babe,xx"

Alp wrote: "Awesome review, Lola! :)"

Aadivah wrote: "Amazing review Lola!"

Aditi wrote: "Beautiful review Lola :-)"

Birchsilver (birchbooksblog) wrote: "That... was a brilliant review, Lola."

Lola Andrea wrote: "I haven't read her yet. The horror!!! ;)"

*GASSSSSP* You have to! :D

message 15: by Lola (last edited May 16, 2016 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lola Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "Brilliant review Lola!! I keep searching for any CS books in my library or nearby bookstores and they never ever stock her!! I'm going to have to resort to an ebook I think (even though they aren't..."

Oh, Emer, they're super cheap on Book Outlet!! Like 1-4$!!!

message 16: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review, Lola! ; )

message 17: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko Great review!!!! I have not read any of her books, but I might try them after a review like that:-)

message 18: by Myrna (new)

Myrna Good review. You've convinced me to look for one of her books.

message 19: by PameKi (new)

PameKi Wow, what a lovely review!!

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam another Great review, Lola :)

Lola Thanks so much!!

message 22: by Exina (new)

Exina Fabulous review, Lola!

Lola Thank you! :)

message 24: by Candace (new)

Candace Fantastic review, Lola! :)

Lola Thank you so much :D!

message 26: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona You have definitely convinced convinced me to read this. 100%!!!!!!!!!

message 27: by harley.equine (new)

harley.equine Amazing review again Lo.
xoxo H

Jenna (lostwithinwords) Beautiful review Lola! I have All The Rage by Courtney Summers on my bookshelves and with your recommendation, I think I will pick it up sooner rather than later <3

Lola Whatcha waiting for?? Don't you feel it calling for you? Summers books are as enticing to me as sirens can be to sailors.

Tatiana Robinson I felt the same way I just all the problems and relationships needs to be resolved ASAP

Michelle Ham the raw honesty of it makes laugh a lot too! so good.

message 32: by Sami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sami I completely feel the same way! But just one part of the book had me confused. I understand what happened to Jessie and how Parker witnessed it but how exactly did Jessie die?? Did she die from what happened to her or from shock....I thought you could help me understand.