Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > Redheart

Redheart by Jackie Gamber

Apr 27, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from June 20 to 23, 2011

Kallon Redheart is the last of the red dragons. He has retreated from both the dragon world and the human world and wants nothing more than to die. Until he meets Riza. Riza wants something more than a dull life as a wife who questions nothing. She left home to find a place for herself, but all she seems to find is trouble. Kallon rescues her life, but can she rescue him in return?

This was a beautiful story that, while aimed at young adults, is a warm fuzzy read for adults as well. The story is all about the power of friendship and love. It is a quick and satisfying read.

The characters really made the story. They are a bit on the simple side, but still seem fully developed, not one-dimensional at all. Riza is a very naive but well meaning character. She truly shines with innocence. I rooted for her to find happiness, and to be saved from the constant trouble she found. Kallon is a troubled and stubborn dragon. I wanted to shake him a few times, but I still found myself rooting for him. Jastin is more complex than the others, and wasn't really good or evil, but somewhere in between. I didn't much care for him, mainly because I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to or not.

This is the first book of a series, but it is a good stand alone read. The story was complete, and wrapped up most loose ends, leaving just a few to be dealt with in later books.

This is a clean read. There is some dragon fighting and minor violence, as well as hints at romance, but would be appropriate for younger teens and up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redheart.

06/20/2011 page 36