Whitney Atkinson's Reviews > Of Mice and Men

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

bookshelves: read-in-2016

I think it's tradition for me to finish a classic and think, "That was good, but I wonder what insights and symbolism I missed out on since I didn't read this for class and have a professor telling me about it." It's also just really hard to review classics in general, because whereas "normal" books I can pick apart the plot, characters, pace, etc., there's something different about these. I feel like I always expect classics to be deep and mindblowing with huge world-shifting themes, but in reality, it's totally normal to be disappointed by them. In this case, I spent most of this book wondering what the point was. I wondered if I was just not connecting to this because it was too short, or because of the very slang dialogue, but by the end of this everything just clicked into place and I actually went into my mom's room to discuss. Touching, tragic, and just..... wow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Mice and Men.

May 14, 2016 – Shelved
May 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2016 – Started Reading
July 9, 2016 –
page 25
23.36% "I'm loving this so far! The writing is just great, but also I'm finding that I'm analyzing this in my head as if I was reading it for class, which normally I would despise and try not to do, but in this case it's very entertaining and it's keeping me incredibly focused on the characters and plot! I can't wait to continue, I think i'll love this :)"
July 10, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen I had to read this for class and it does help a lot to have someone who knows what their talking about analyse it

Mathil Pooracho Totally agree with Ellen

Mared Owen It's a GCSE set text in the UK so a lot of teenagers end up hating this book when it's actually amazing. I used to hate analyzing literature but this was the first novel I read for class where I actually appreciated the deeper analysis a teacher can offer.

Jenny (Reading Envy) In high school, we had to put on a supreme court case to decide if Lenny should have the death penalty or not. That was 21 years ago, but I still think about this book.

хона Ахмэте I agree with you on the whole analyzation of classics. I feel as though I cant read anything considered so without AT LEAST sparknotes-ing it. but im determined to now read these bad boys for myself, with no reviews or things to watch out for. just take it in.

Kimberlyϟ Completely agree!!