Phil's Reviews > The Road to Daybreak: A Spiritual Journey

The Road to Daybreak by Henri J.M. Nouwen

11929969

bookshelves: theology, christian

My wife picked up this book because friends of ours were culling their books and we both have read a fair amount of Henri Nouwen, but mostly from before his move to L'Arche Daybreak in 1986. Mind you, those books have had a considerable influence on me, so I welcomed the chance to follow Nouwen's journal in the year proceeding his move. These journals trace Nouwen's year at Trosley, the original site of l'Arche as he was discerning what he would do after he left his position at the Harvard Theological School. In this book, we see Nouwen's growing conviction of his call to L'Arche and his struggle with his weaknesses and depression.

Many of the themes are familiar to those who have read Nouwen's other books, but Road to Daybreak is an interesting addition to understanding this important spiritual writer, particularly the epilogue which discusses Nouwen's troubled first year at L'Arche Daybreak. All in all, a worthwhile book for those interested in Nouwen's spiritual journey and those interested in the process of discernment in general.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Daybreak.

May 3, 2016 – Started Reading