Laurie's Reviews > Tails of Wonder and Imagination

Tails of Wonder and Imagination by Ellen Datlow

Apr 26, 2011

liked it

This is a collection fantasy/horror stories that involve cats, some forty ‘tails’, many by well known authors- Neil Gaiman, Joyce Carol Oates, Charles de Lint, Stephen King, Kelly Link, and Susanna Clarke among others. But this is *not* an anthology for cat lovers, or at least not for those with soft hearts. These are dark stories all, not light-hearted fantasies where the noble young cat discovers he’s a prince and goes on adventures. In a rather uneven collection, cats meet dire fates at times. They are thrown, throttled, starved, beaten, run over and consumed. Many of these stories I did not enjoy reading. Most are well crafted, though; it’s my revulsion at the depiction of violence against felines that gave me such a problem with the stories.

Datlow has expanded the definition of ‘cat’ to include other members of the feline family: lions, tigers and pumas; a couple of mythical ones, the sphinx and the manticore; and some made up for the occasion. To me, these were easier to read-the bigger cats hold their own against humans better.

Decent dark fantasy, but don’t give this to someone whose cats are their ‘children’.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tails of Wonder and Imagination.